SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > Original SOWPub Forum Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 25, 2003, 02:44 PM
garth

Default SARS Has Told Me From The Heavens Above

Here are some factoids my sources tell me about
SARS...

Although true this in fact is pneumonia. This is an atypical pneumonia because of its rapid onset, lack of ability to identify virus and clustering it was decided to mark it something different from "bad a.. pneumonia".

In fact way back in 1999 in Afghanistan of all places it was called just Acute Respiratory Infection and this is the first reference I know of to what eventually would be called SARS.

So there in Afghanistan a small village was infected and a high rate of people died.

Then Acute Respiratory Infection hit places in the African Congo and then in Greece. Then finally reaching China in November 2002. Then later a series of Asian country experienced Acute Respiratory Infection and around about that time it started to be called SARS instead of just Acute Respiratory Infection.

One of the first non medical reports on SARS I think was the New York Times on March 17 2003.

Now why did the Times pick up story?

Probably I think because of a possible threat to the health of North America especially since it was of unknown cause this would probably a sufficient news angle to get people to read the Times. Nothing wrong with that I think.

Its just probably you might want to say "Where's The Beef". Yes people have died and become sick but compare it to Malaria where 3000 people a day die mostly young people on the continent of Africa.

Now why isn't that NEWS?

Probably because a lot of people are dead from it. There is little possibility of US dieing from it. I mean North Americans and Europeans of course. And besides we know how to cure it so what's the big deal, 3000 a day versus 3,000 over 4 years.

Drug companies might be the "straw that stirs the drink" (thanks Reggie for that great line) because a few countries report a run on antibiotics sells but I don't know of any direct link to them adding gas to the fire.

Finally, take a look at the link I added. Here is someone taking full advantage of the hype I am sure he will be a special exclusive guest on Whitley Streiber's Dreamland Radio Show.

For you non West Coast(US) non radio listening and skeptics of the paranormal this a popular radio show dealing with the supernatural here in the states. (Yes I listen but shucks I don't believe everything I hear, ok?)

Is SARS Real Or Surreal? This Guy Knows And Is Not Afraid To Tell You