SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > Original SOWPub Forum Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 26, 2003, 11:21 PM
Sandi Bowman

Default Re: Think again, please...

> ...Sandi, I appreciate your response.
> However, I think you are WAY overreacting.

> The demise of legitimate publishers as a
> consequence of such a
> "publication"...well...I think
> that's as far fetched as some of the
> promises of riches we receive everyday in
> our inboxes.

> As Mike points out (posted below), a twist
> to the original "idea" might be a
> way to go, and could become quite an amusing
> read.

> Regards,

> Fred

Hi, Fred,

Appreciate your feelings and response but I had very good reasons for stating it as strongly as I did.

I have seen, in the past six months numerous good, some very long-time, publishers put out of business, literally, by spammers. I have personally been the victim of FALSE spam accusation due to my hosts IP#'s being blacklisted because spammers used their servers. No exaggeration is needed...just ask some of the victims to whom it has already happened.

Why not ask the multitude of publishers who have been wondering why their sales have fallen precipitously, even before the war and other factors? There's too much junk out there and it's making people leery of ebooks in general. Add spammer texts to that and you'll see the market, which is already suffering, virtually dry up.

Better yet, ask some of the publishers that are trying desperately to serve their REQUESTED, OPT-IN (some even paid for!)ezines to their subscribers about the hassles that spammers are causing them. I gave up trying to publish two ezines because of the hassles.

To make use of spammer stuff, for whatever reason, only encourages them. Take the profit out of it and they'd be gone. Simple as that, despite what some people say. It's $$$ motivated and nothing else.

Well, there might be the element of thumbing their noses at the establishment for them...they are immature and sick enough that it might be a motivator for some of them. But, over all, it's just plain greed on their part and on the part of those who make their nasty business possible.

Michael's idea might be workable if the subject is approached in an educational frame of reference. I still don't like the idea of using spammer stuff for the above stated reasons.

If, however, we can prevent others from being ripped off or murdered, as happened to several who responded and met their contacts, it might qualify as okay under the concept of the greater good.

To treat it too lightly is, IMHO, not the way to go. Oh, it'd be okay to use some sarcasm perhaps in response to an outrageous statement, but definitely not a light humorous approach. Humor, when lives and livelihoods are at stake, seems a bit out of place to me.

Sandi