SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > Original SOWPub Forum Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 28, 2003, 03:22 AM
Dien Rice

Default Re: google adwords

Hi Brendon,

I've had success with Google - that is, it was making a profit for me. However, around February, my sales from the Google advertising started going down - I think it was probably due to "war fever". My Google ads became unprofitable, so I yanked them. However, perhaps things are better now - I may start running them again....

I never had any problems getting the minimum 1% click-through rate that Google requires. In fact, I've actively worked to bring DOWN my click-through rate, to try to have higher "quality" clickers (i.e. those who are more likely to buy). I think if you pick sensible keywords that fit your product, you won't have any problem reaching the magic 1% click-through rate.

One thing you MUST do is track your sales. You really NEED to know how many sales Google is bringing to you, so you can calculate if you are making money or losing money on your advertising. Unless you have some way of tracking where your sales are coming from, you don't know if your advertising is making or losing you money. (Especially if you promote your products in multiple ways, and if Google is only one means you have of promoting your stuff.)

I use Clickbank, and I sometimes list the same product with Clickbank multiple times, using different product numbers. So I know that if (for example) someone bought a Widget Report, listed as Clickbank product number 1, that they bought it through my regular web page. But if they bought a Widget Report, listed as Clickbank product number 2 (it's identical to product number 1, I just have it listed twice) - then they bought it through my Google advertising. By using this simple system, I know where every sale comes from.

I hope that helps!

Dien Rice

Business Ideas That Really Work