SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > Original SOWPub Forum Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Poll: owx0f
Poll Options
owx0f

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 28, 2003, 02:07 PM
Lawrence

Default $2000 in 30 days? Here's how I do it in 7

A few years ago, I got involved with painting address numbers on curbs as part of a Children’s Hospital fundraiser. I tried some different ways to do the addresses to increase the public’s desire to have them.

I came up with an attractive version that was more appealing and the response was a little better than usual.

After the fundraiser ended, I continued with it in an attempt to work it as a real business. Using fliers, my response rate was the typical 1% to 3%. Knocking on doors to pitch the service would increase that to about 12%. That was good, but not good enough for me, so I stopped doing it.

Two years ago, a local Fire Dept. had an awareness program about the importance of highly visible addresses to help in emergency situations. I got an idea and captured their “official” information and went back to work. I tested a lot of approaches and found that the Fire Dept. info was very effective and I eventually developed a series of very effective strategies that results in a consistent 60%+ response rate.

Just recently, I used the same fire dept. info as part of a pitch to neighborhood homeowner’s associations in an attempt to get letters of approvals from them to show to the residents.

What I got were articles about my service along with my contact information in some association newsletters. With others, I’ve contracted with them to do all the homes in their associations at a reduced rate of $12 each, instead of the usual $15.

Even without association endorsements, I get a very consistent 60% to 80% positive response rate with the strategies I developed. The kicker is that I nave to knock on doors to accomplish this (something a lot of people are not willing to do).

But, for me, where it used to be a frightful chore, it is now very empowering since the response rate is always so high. Sometimes it becomes a block event where people come out of their homes and hand me money to do their address so they don’t miss out.

When a few of the neighbors have the service done (they attractive way I developed) most of them want too.

Sometimes, I’ll do a couple of addresses for free, just to get the ball rolling, but the strategies all involve elements of human nature and that never changes – therefore my results always remain high.

Doing just 20 a day at $15 each is $300. 7 days of that gives me $2100. And, the cost to do the job is only 14 cents each, since I no longer put out fliers.

It does take about 6 to 8 hours a day and it does involve knocking on doors and using the right strategies of what to do and say, but it does produce consistent results and I just love it! I’m so busy all the time, but I can work when I want.

I even figured out how to do business in the rain!

I also discovered other products and services I can offer to those who purchase the curb address. (Back-end products).

Now I need to add some employees!

That’s how I do it,

Lawrence