SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 11, 2007, 08:55 PM
James Anthony

Default The other side of the coin.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Alm View Post
If you "place your destiny" on..."da Gummit" or...a "Company" or an "Industry" or...."anyone OTHER than yerself"....you could have a "rude awakening" sometime in the future.

Then...when da "rug is swept out from under yer feet"....WHATCHA GONNA DO...to....MAINTAIN A GOOD LIFESTYLE....fer yerself an' yer famly?

The fact of the matter is that while there are risks associated with having a "job', the risks of self employment are far greater.

It ain't for everyone!

Honestly, it's for very few.

And that "freedom" that people who sell biz-op info products like to talk about?

It RARELY happens like that in the real world.

I remember after I quit my $48,000 a year job back in 1991 (that was a helluva lot of money back then) and started doing my own thing, I used to tell all me friends.....

"Self Employment is great! - I only work half days now"

That was a big joke because everyone knew that when I talked about "half-days" that it meant from 9 AM to 9PM!

And for many years following my leaving that cushy job, I never came anywhere close to the same pay (not to mention the best benefits in the world) - normally, not even half of it.

It wasn't until 13 years later in 2004 that I was able to match my pay from that job.

My friends that I worked with back then? Some of them are still there and making over 100K a year.

In that time from 1991 thru 2004, I would guess that they all made at least half a million more than I did!

I would bet that none of them have been evicted from their apartments or have had foreclosure notices taped to their doors.

Hell, I've had times in those years where i didn't even have enough gas money to make it to work.

I wonder how many of them have ever had their power shut off or their phone or their cable or had to go without eating for a day or two.

They all worked 8 hour days while I was putting in 12 to 16.

They had social lives while I had neither the time or the money for one.

THAT is self-employment for the average guy!

It ain't all sunshine and rainbows.

MOST people are not cut out for it.

Why did I stick with it?

Because I know that for that small percentage of people, it worked and paid off in a big way. I knew that none of those people were any better or smarter than me and that if they could do it, I could do it BETTER!

My point.....

It ain't for everybody.

Is it for you? You'll have to decide for yourself.

You've got to know exactly what it is you want and exactly what you're willing to give up to get there.

The upside....

Once something "clicks", it's magical.

It finally "clicked" for me a few years ago.

My friends that are still at that "job" I mentioned.....

They're stuck there with no way out.

For me - I know there's a little place on Oahu's North Shore where I can park a Ferrari in the driveway and live happily ever after.

I can even tell you the exact date it will happen.

December 18th 2011 - my 45th birthday.

The road to get there? PURE HELL - and in hindsight, I can't honestly tell you that I'd do it all over again. It's surely not a path I'd recommend for anyone.

Some of us are cut out for it and MOST of us are not.

But it ain't at all like the ALMighty Don says.

Trust me on that one.

Jim