SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 24, 2007, 09:50 PM
Bill

Default Re: Poor Research Is Evil

Another false herbal scare arose over kava kava, the South Pacific Island herb that helps to overcome mild cases of depression. Pharmaceutical companies in Europe were selling kava kava and reported, without adequate substantiation, that there were reports of liver toxicity in less than 100 people and withdrew the herb (a drug in Europe) from distribution in 2002. US sales of kava kava were then about $34 million a year. The American Herbal Products Association was put on the defensive to prove a long-used herbal extract was safe when there were only specious reports of liver toxicity from Europe.

Then the US Food & Drug Administration destroyed US sales of kava kava by issuing a warning of a potential hazard and asked health professionals to report any cases of liver toxicity associated with this herb. (For comparison, the US Poison Control Centers report that acetaminophen (Tylenol) causes 70,000 reported cases of liver toxicity annually which results in 70-100 deaths per year.) Only a handful of adverse reports were submitted to the FDA by US physicians. None panned out to be of concern. But consumers taking kava kava for anxiety and depression were getting more anxious and depressed every time they heard another negative news reports about kava.

Dr. Donald Waller, a toxicologist and professor at the University of Illinois, reviewed the reported cases of liver toxicity associated with the use of kava kava and concluded there was no clear evidence that the liver damage reported in the US and Europe was caused by the consumption of kava. Other researchers also could not find a link between kava and the reported cases of liver toxicity. [Planta Med. 2004 Mar; 70: 193-6] In many of these cases the kava patients were also taking prescription drugs that are known to be toxic to the liver. But the May 2004 issue of Consumer Reports still listed kava among its list of Dangerous Supplements Still at Large. Dr. Marvin Lipman, Consumer Reports chief medical advisor said: Given the weight of the evidence against Kava, we would urge everyone to avoid its use." In March of 2004 Canadian researchers were horrified that health food stores were still recommending kava kava to their customers. [J Gen Intern Med. 2004 Mar; 19: 269-72]

There was no clear evidence that the liver damage reported in the US and Europe was caused by the consumption of kava. --Dr. Donald Waller, toxicologist

Among Hawaiian farmers, sales of kava kava raw material dropped by 87% in just one year. [Hawaii Dept. of Agriculture] Thousands of jobs were wiped out. An efficacious anti-anxiety herb was cast into question, and most consumers didn't suspect that there were competing commercial interests behind this whole fiasco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldblogger View Post
Aloha Jim,

Thanks for your reply!

I worked as a cop in Honolulu for many years -- and the Samoans on my beat used to get $#!t-faced on that stuff.

I looked into kava, but the dangers (liver toxicity) are well documented. I can't sell something I don't believe in. I am sure you are the same way.

Right now I am leaning towards creating my own line of nutritional supplements (like protein powders, etc.) targeted at three specific markets.

I am living in Washington State right now. This is where I am going to retire and build my fortress.

My daughter lives in Honolulu with my ex, so I make frequent trips.

Aloha,

Jason