SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 19, 2007, 08:18 PM
MichaelRoss

Default Why people chop and change business ideas

Phil,

Thanks for the resources.

Quote:
Focusing & Starting just One business idea is the Real Problem for Many

I don't know if this is actually a Problem, per se.

Let me explain...

People get a job. If the job fulfills their requirements of that job and the negatives can be Handled, the person will Stay.

Only They are the ones who know what their Requirements are and whether the job fulfills them. And their requirements could range from Income Level, Skill Utilisation or New Skill Learning, to Proximity To Home, Perks and other elements both Tangible and Intangible. And the requirements are different for all of us. And some requirements could Outweight others. Such as maybe earning less money as long as the other requirements were there, or sacrificing some of the other requirements in favor of extra money.

Also, what I could get satisfaction out of another person might not be able to stand. And vice versa.

For example. Ages ago I wrote a piece about Digging Holes for a living. And I had the line... "dig holes for a living IF...". Whatever comes after that IF are my Conditions, my Requirements. *I* could do physical hole digging as long as other requirements were met, while other people couldn't do anything physical as that is a primne requirement of theirs.

Based on this, my induction/deduction concludes... people chop and change ideas because those ideas (what they Imagined from those ideas) do not, or did not, satisfy their requirements. Maybe the idea satisfied all requirements except Amount of Money. Or all requirements except Time At Home With Family. Or all requirements except Moral Allignment. Or all requirements except needing to sell face-to-face.

As often, what they will get from the idea is only imagined and not experienced before they go into it, their delusion is shattered as Reality shows its face. Reality arrives and they discover their Requirements don't match what they Imagined from the business, and so they drop it.

Going by the kids of today... this is going to be a greater issue in the times ahead. As they seem more out of touch with reality now than ever before. The truth is, everyone is NOT a star or champion at everything they do. They live in a deluded dream world far from reality and they cannot Handle reality - look at the American Idol auditions to see how unstuck the grossly out of tune people become when reality arrives and shatters their delusion.

A way to Soften the Reality Blow is to Lower Your Expectations about any idea you think of following. To put less stock in it as Working or being Easy and a Cash Cow. Then, when reality arrives, you can make an unemotional decision about sticking with it or not, or even getting into in the first place.

Also, I feel much of the ideas concentrate too much on What to do and not actually How to do it.

For example: In Skips Free Report he wrote "Use a software program to get the misspellings of those two phrases and use all of them for your keyword list in your PPC campaign."

That is WHAT to do - good What, but still What. HOW do I do this? Who knows? I don't know what this software is called, where to find it, how to search for it, nothing. And so I end up coming off the rails at that point. I know WHAT to do but not HOW.

The How is known by the writer but the Action Steps are Assumed to be known. Such as "When a visitor arrives, make them a cup of tea". That is a WHAT, but unless I Already know HOW to make tea, I am unglued and cannot continue.

So in addition to the Delusions and Requirements of the person, the idea might present them with things requiring How Knowledge which they don't have. Three reasons why a person will chop and change business ideas. One a problem with them (delusions) and the other a problem with the idea (what/how), with the third being the benchmark by which they pass it all by.

Money is important. And with a job the person knows it Before going into it. So they cannot be delusional about that. If the money earned satisfies that requirement and it was a Prime Requirement, the person will Put Up With "Job Crap" and stay. Otherwise, they will chop and change and leave. Just like jumping from one idea to another.

Michael Ross