SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 1, 2007, 07:20 PM
MichaelRoss

Default Power Seller Inside Info & Free Auction Software

Jason,

Thanks for the idea.

Would you mind Expanding on How you'd use this Gained Knowledge of Huge Demand? Or are you thinking along the lines of what MW suggested - a website based around just one product, with a Competitive Advantage of bonus items, bigger purchase options options, faster delivery, etc.

Your mention of Outsourcing reminds me of something Dick Smith said - which I mentioned a few weeks ago... find the best from around the world and copy them.

Harv T Eker also said, find what's working over there and bring it over here. It will get here anyway, due to creep, but by brining it over you beat the Lag Time.

But the trick is, Finding what is Selling.

Books are tied up with publishers. Although, Bulk Lots can be purchased from the Licensed Distributors. Such as one of the Large distributors down in Oz has one simple request... at least $200 worth of books must be bought (that's $200 worth at wholesale prices). But you will be competing with all other book sellers that people already feel comfortable doing business with.

Re Copying... After searching ebay, clicking Related Items and following that kind of see/click/see/click line, I stumbled upon something interesting...

Two Power Sellers in Australia selling the Same product. Only two of them. One sells with Buy It Now, the other sells via Auction. Without naming them outright and using like-wise names, one is called Vidshanty and the other is Discshanty.

The interesting thing is, the Auctions almost always reach the same Buy It Now price and go no higher (sometimes being only a few cents under). Which tells me, those who Bid also know of the Buy It Now seller. Both sellers, of this one particular item (and they both sell a range of items), make a sale during the Listing Life. Though I feel the Auction guy is limiting himself by only selling one at a time.

Further research reveals one of them is an Actual Store. They do shop front sales as well as a Large Mailorder Operation in addition to their Ebay side. And they keep their ebay side Separate from their store/mailorder side - you cannot call them and get the cheaper ebay prices, for example.

I don't know much about the other seller, yet.

What I found most interesting was the Product Sold and how one seller had obviously copied the Name of the other seller. The second half of the name was such a quirky word its use had to be deliberate.

I've been watching these two sellers for the past week and a half. The Buy It Now Seller sold 4 units at his last listing while the Auction Seller sold 1 unit. The Buy It Now Seller offers Lower Shipping as his edge.

The Auction Seller also offers a Two Unit deal. Again, the price of his Auctions stops just short - or right on the price - of buying two units from the Buy It Now Seller.

And they both use Auctiva http://www.auctiva.com Free Auction Software.

Michael Ross