SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 10, 2007, 02:44 PM
hartrealm

Red face Highest and Best Use of Domain Name?

I've secured the domain name "RentToOwnNetwork.com" recently and I'm trying to determine what might be best use. (I also have "LocalInvestorNetwork.com" but have yet to really do anything other than to throw up a little info on it just to have something there).

I am an investor, buying and selling a few houses a year. Some on my own, some with partners. I'd like to increase the number I buy considerably over the next several months.

Most of the houses I buy, I sell on a "rent to own" basis. It provides monthly cashflow and a nice payoff 12-24 months in the future when my renter buys. It's a pretty common practice among investors. I'm no pioneer here as many other investors do the same, selling on a "rent to own" or "lease purchase".

When I secured the name, I wasn't sure how I would use it. My first thought was to use it to find "rent to own" buyers in my local market whenever I had a property to fill. I could advertise it on a little 6'x12' trailer I own. Something like:

"Rent to Own
Homes Available Now!
Phone/Website"

I could take my kids to the mall on the weekend with trailer in tow for FREE advertising (just park in the outer areas of the lot where it would be seen ... and not get me in trouble with the mall security!).

Then it occured to me that I may be thinking too small.

I suppose I could create a national "network", accepting "rent to own" listings from investors all over the country ... but, I'd like to keep it simple ... and make money now, not months later after investing in infrastructure and such. I'm not much at this technical/computer stuff and I have far too much in "outgoing" expenses right now than I do "incoming" due to certain circumstances.

Anyway, any thoughts from the members of SOWPUB on how to best benefit from the domain would be appreciated.

Some of the things that have crossed my mind in the last 24 hours:
Allow local investors to post properties for mthly fee? Or a fee for every property I find a tenant for (for a % of the option money)?

Contact local real estate agents and management companies to list some of their properties on my site? (but I would have to have traffic of course, but how to generate other than my little trailer? ads in the local papers?)

Maybe I don't want to list properties, but instead, just have the potential "rent to own" prospects come to my site, fill out an application/information form to be alerted to "rent to own" opportunities in the areas they're interested in?

Highest and best use? Quickest way to monthly income?

Again, any suggestions appreciated!