SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 4, 2007, 03:26 PM
MichaelRoss

Default No evidence yet...

Mark,

Thanks for linking to the video.

Unfortunately, they want me to Sign Up to view it. And I'm not going to sign up to something to help you prove your point. How about you give us a Transcript of the bit that you Think makes him Homophobic.

Which leaves his PS, "No gays allowed." How does that make him Homophobic?

Seriously? Gay means bright, bubbly, cheery happy.

It's also been used as a term of ridicule and to Knock something or express your dislike at something. E.g. You see a car that you don't like the look of and you think the airbrushing on the side is silly and you remark, "That car is so Gay."

Some Same Sex Fetishists do refer to themselves as Gay.

Now, his PS might mean, he doesn't want any Happy people there. And going by his Angry Boy writing style I could clearly see that. He might also not want any Stupid Heads, Idiots, Morons and other's like that which he calls Gay. And third, he might not want Homosexuals - as if he'd know how to spot one.

To add more. If he does mean Same Sex Fetishists he just might not want them at this event because... he knows they won't have a good time (unless they are Female Same Sex Fetishists). And so he makes that "No gays allowed" remark. However, that does not mean the man has an overall prejudice against Same sex Fetishists.

Based on the above, it is a stretch to call the man Homophobic.

I'm not giving the man a pass - I've already expressed what I think of the matter elsewhere in this thread. But I'm hardly going to accuse the man of being Homophobic due to three written words. Otherwise it's similar to the games played by the likes of Jesse Jackson who wants to make Everything about race - so the Other side then wastes time defending a Label that shouldn't have been thrown in the first place, and the original topic is lost.

If, on the other boards in which there was deletion, you were more outraged and zealotry in calling names, then I can understand your message being deleted by the board owner.

Because it's Their Board and, like a newspaper, they have an onus on what stays up and is available to be read. If you call someone a name, or call them a Prejudicial Label, you had better be able to back it up otherwise the message will be deleted. It's that simple. (Say what you want on your own website or blog, but don't expect others to put themselves on the Libel/Slander Line for you.)

And so far, I see no evidence to throw a label around like that. Maybe the video shows something different. Like if he'd said he Hates Homosexuals or something. But writing "No Gays Allowed" does not make him any more homophobic than a store having "No smoking allowed" makes them Smokerphobic or a sign that says "No Skateboarding" makes the place Skateboarderphobic. Such places can have signs due to Insurance Liabilities.

Michael Ross