SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 14, 2007, 10:20 AM
sandy

Default Re: Getting to Business Owners Cheaply

Michael you have just confirmed what I believed. However, I only believed it after helping a few friends with marketing and discussing the possibilities. They saw it as a waste of time also; I couldn't figure out what was going on. Another area of marketing they didn't quite get was: Public Relations. Many of them need PR coverage but for some reason don't want to pay for it. I think one of the problems is the lack of business tools and knowledge of how to measure the effectiveness of different marketing strategies. If you won't take the time to talk to your customers(either face to face or in some format) and find out how they found your business and or if they heard you on some type of media outlet: what good would a PR Plan do you? I've found many small business people may "enjoy what they do" but do not "enjoy becoming successful in business through the use of sales and marketing strategies".

Now here is my question to you: Let's take real estate for example. Do you think the larger entities: big name real estate companies take their marketing and sales strategies more seriously than the small realtors(realtors with 5 salespeople or less)? I'm asking because do you think there are certain industries which are resistant to marketing efforts or it's the size of the industry.

Let me give you an example: when I go online I see zillions of realtor websites: most of them are aimed at people who are searching for listings, and other realtors checking out the competition. But the blog/websites I see do not give you a sense of who you will be doing business with and the reason I should do business with them. So the average person will browse 17 or so realtor websites and may even find themselves,after doing so, going to a simple platform as "craigslist.org" to find homes. Why? what is it about craigslist? why does a site without the frills etc. draw so many?

Anyway, I've digressed and thank you for the post which was stimulating.