SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 4, 2007, 04:31 PM
Pickle

Default Re: I spoke with Harvey on Thursday, here is what's UP...

Thanks so much, Gordon -

As to your question, what I would want to see about Harvey's 5th Gears, etc... is basically how Harvey is using his concepts today. A peek into his current-day operation, if you will... and maybe his advice on what young entrepreneurs should do today... what he would do differently, if he had to do it all over again.

My favorite parts of my Harvey Brody materials are:

(A) The numerous examples from his previous students... incuding the wonderful ads!

(B) The special insights he had, that no one else had... for example, his ingenious use of "slug lines."

For those who don't know what a "slug line" template is... it's basically a template where he could insert his master distributors' logos, and then provide those templates as labels, ads, press photos, etc. -- that's so pure genious, because he gets to own the rights to everything. He accomplishes 3 things by doing this: (1) he creates a "toll position" because his master distributors cannot "copycat" his formula (if it wasn't patented)... because if they did, they would have to change the label of the can -- thereby losing the goodwill of the product, and (2) he gets to provide his distributors with ready-to-go marketing material (3) he gets to build his own brand quickly (because the trademark for the product is included along with the private labeler's name on the can).

Anyways, what I'd like to learn from Harvey:

If there is a 5th gear, or a 6th gear, I'd really like to know about it! I'm looking for any material that shows how to avoid the bog-down.

I also have Ben Suarez's book.... which is great. But as soon as you look at the cartoon diagram in his book for "how to set up your office" ... and you loook at the areas for order processing, pick & pack, etc.... you realize that you're gonna need a lot... A LOT of employees.

Have you ever managed an employee before? All they care about is themselves... how much money they can earn per hour, by doing the least amount of work. The only exception is the commission-only salesperson... but in sales, turnover is so high, that you're constantly recruiting new salespeople... which bogs you down.

There is a certain genious to dealing with fewer customers...

Basically, to answer your question, Gordon I'd appreciate any info Harvey could give regarding avoiding the bog-down phenomenon.... basically, a "how-to" for operations.... what he has learned since he last taught his concepts... why he considers all of that "historical information."

Thanks so much.