SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 6, 2008, 05:50 PM
Administrator

Default The Sky IS falling, so "Chicken Little" can sell sky-proof umbrellas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi Bowman View Post
Baloney, GJA. When I stated the lawmakers...that's who the 'they' are in that paragraph+. When I say 'the people' that's who the 'they' are in that frame of reference. Just read what I actually wrote. Stop being so literal and try to follow the other person's train of thought. That's what Michael did. Try it.

I read what you wrote Sandi. Including this:
I have very little patience with the scaremongers who predict this, that, and the next thing and broadcast their doom and gloom everywhere without thought of the fallout...and for the people who refuse to think for themselves and act rashly on the say-so and behaviors of others.

Even you will surely admit that education does help people to make more informed decisions.

NO, I won't admit that. It is storied, fabled and we all know of educated people with advance degrees who make absolutely terrible decisions. They are some of the most informed people in the world. Many of them are the "lawmakers" and legislators you want to blame.

I'll tell you why no one takes on this challenge: money is the bottom line. The name of the games big brother and others play is profits...and the consequences to others be damned.

The EPA was established by big brother, not to make more profits...but to do some good. Has it?

I, personally, think that's irresponsible when carried to the extremes we are seeing these days. This is where history would be valuable...to prove/show the same attitudes and actions precipitated other recessions etc to those who choose not to believe or see.

I see, I know, I am preparing for any eventuality as much as I can. I would hope that things would turn around in time but it doesn't look promising this time around. That does not mean that we should just sit back and say 'oh, well, they (people) will never learn'. That's foolish thinking.

I'm sorry, I'm just not following you at all. Isn't yelling "FIRE" in a crowded theater appropriate when there is a fire in the theater? You have NO PATIENCE for fearmongering...and for those who will not make their own decisions...because they are not educated enough...or informed???

The POINT of my post is one of EDUCATION...it is more like showing the exits on the plane at the start of trip, rather than waiting until the plane is falling out of the sky and yelling to people...stay calm, we have emergency exits on this plane...

People can, and do, change their minds, do follow through appropriately when it's to their benefit to do so, and effect many other changes...but first, they need to be educated and informed.

GJA, I'm sure you know who puts the laws on the books so let's not go there. If lawmakers can only justify their exhorbitant incomes and dream-scene perks by passing unneeded laws without doing anything to correct prior poorly written or totally laughable laws, then they are to be pitied...and put out of their misery by removing them from office.

Isn't that what elections are for?

As for who is subject to 19th century thinking: the majority of the people on this earth, frankly. Not a one of us does not hold some belief that stems from earlier times. Even the belief in recessions and depressions originates in history, and currently, directly relates particularly to events in the 19th century.

As for the scaremongering and fallout. It is one thing to tell people what you think, believe, see, etc...it is quite another to run around like Chicken Little saying 'the sky is falling! the sky is falling!'. You don't yell fire in a crowded theater but it's okay to ask people to exit through this or that door in an orderly fashion without panicking everyone. See my point?

NO, I don't see your point. And I don't think I need a translator either, I'm just reading what you wrote.

Use discretion when delivering potentially (note that word) upsetting information.

WHY? Who is it upsetting so much that caution must be used?

Shh, don't tell anyone, but I think a recession is coming? Does that work for ya?

As for the simple minded panic, see the paragraph above about education and people changing their minds/actions.

Again, education does not necessarily translate into making better decisions, informed or otherwise.

There's nothing wishful thinking about what I propose...not a bit of it.

HERE Sandi is where I'm really confused....WHAT exactly are you proposing? I've read it several times, maybe I do need a translator...

You see, I'm not quite as pessimistic as some folks. I say, give folks a chance to do what's in their own best interests...once they know what that is.

Sandi Bowman

I'm extremely OPTIMISTIC. You want to give people a chance to do what's in their own best interest...once they know what that is...according to ????????????

I'm sorry, I don't get what you are saying. You feel that I somehow used a scaremonger approach...that we of the recession soon to be belief are yelling fire in a crowded theater...and that is a bad thing?

You want an educated and INFORMED constituency, yet on the other hand you practically call them idiots for not being able to think for themselves.

I'll try this one last time.

MAYBE it is me who needs translated...

I believe we are at the beginning stages of a very deep recession. It is time to take INFORMED action and make sure you (the readers) are not in the group that is going to get hurt.

OK? I've informed the SowPub readers. I believe they are an educated group, quite capable of understanding this...and I'm presenting opportunities that they can capitalize on.

I'm not blaming an undereducated, underinformed America-at-large NOR am I looking to politicians to change their ways....so, in response to your "Baloney" Sandi, I must say...

HOGWASH!!

Gordon Jay Alexander