SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 27, 2008, 04:52 AM
MichaelRoss

Default I said Lemmings because I meant Lemmings

TW,

Thanks for adding some more.

As you acknowledge that Bugging people does no good for if-you-need-it-you-need-it-if-you-don't-you-don't types of business, then the statement about Bugging is not all encompassing. Thus you must also accept that these if-you-need-it-you-need-it-if-you-don't-you-don't business are more your Magnetic types of business.

I understand you can accept that. But what gets your goat is calling a Push Marketing Method a Pull Method. When hinting that ALL/ANY business is actually a if-you-need-it-you-need-it-if-you-don't-you-don't type of business when that just isn't the case.

About the ladder. We don't get this ad in Australia that I have seen, so I had to look it up. It appears to be Ripe for infomercial marketing. There is a Gimmicky Nature to the ladder. A nature that would probably see it NOT be taken seriously by tradesmen - who usually already have the ladders they need and wouldn't be buying additional ladders in droves to justify the Little Giant Infomercial (and who may not be allowed to use such a ladder on worksites due to heath and safety rules). Hence, the Little Giant's market is the domestic market who buys into Gimmicks more so.

Having said that, let me say this... years ago I had the contract to clean some glass awnings. These awnings were quarter circle arches and in segments. A ladder from the ground would enable you to clean the first couple of awning panels but not the higher segments which were also the more horizontal segments. And a ladder placed to the wall above the top segments would not allow you to reach the segments. What we Needed was a ladder that could Bend in a couple of places to also give a quarter circle shape. The bottom would sit near the bottom panel and the top just above the top panel. The job could be done.

So when the Foldable Ladder came out it matched what we already needed. They didn't need to Convince us of its usefulness. We already knew how we could use it. So for us, it was Pull, as soon as we knew it existed. For others, though, it was push.

Again, evidence that a blanket push or pull statement does NOT apply.

However, even the if-you-need-it-you-need-it-if-you-don't-you-don't business can benefit from Constant Marketing - even if only in a local free suburban newspaper. Because while you or *I* might not need their services often, or only every few years, there is Always Someone who needs to use such a service. Sometimes they will Watch the ads for a month or so to make sure a business is still around. Sometimes they will call at the time they need, without such Ad Watching.

Removalists. End of Lease cleaning services, lawn mowing, etc. All fit this area.

So even though you don't need to Convince people to use your Type of service, that doesn't mean you should stop marketing. But it might mean you don't need to market in the Front of the paper where it is costly and you might not get the Return you need. But at the back where such ads have a section of the paper devoted to them and where people Look to find such things.

Even though you can say "Performance Based" you are now saying the same things as Scams and other Questionable people say. And the same thing anyone who bought Mike Enlow material say. You are unusual. The client needs too much education. A confused mind says "no". The fact is, they just do not TRUST you. Which is where the Existing Economic Relationship and any form of nepotism comes into play. And where, getting a foot in the door as a Rep of any kind will help you Prove yourself first.

I said Lemmings because I meant Lemmings. Because Lemmings hint at Self Destructive behavior. And Big Companies often do what other Big Companies do, even if it is self destructive behavior. It's worse than being a sheep because of the self destructive nature of it.

And I never said which side of the debate I am on because I don't think there is a debate. The only debate is, calling something the wrong thing. And that's not a Debate, but a statement of fact.

ALL businesses can benefit from Constant Marketing - whether they are if-you-need-it-you-need-it-if-you-don't-you-don't businesses or not.

Michael Ross