SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > Original SOWPub Forum Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Poll: ZqQeJ
Poll Options
ZqQeJ

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 11, 2003, 06:42 PM
Rick Smith

Default Re: Right under my nose...

Jesse -

> Thanks for the heads up on 1shoppingcart.
> What's funny is that we already *have* a
> 1shopping cart account and use it for order
> taking & follow-up emails in one of my
> businesses!

Glad to help. *g*

> But someone else in my company set it up and
> manages it, so I am not familiar with all
> its features. Certainly I had no idea it
> could track marketing campaigns with the
> level of sophistication that I described.
> I'll definitely look into that.

Had I not heard the Mizel/Mandossian Braindump audios, I would not have known it either. I think you can still get the audios if you go to cyberwave... blast. Had to go check the URL. *g* It's at cyberwave.com/braindump and it is still free for the streaming version. I will warn you. It's about 5 hours worth! But it may be 5 of the best hours you'll ever invest in your marketing education. I'm not kidding. I'm no stranger to marketing or Internet marketing and I have the library to prove it. *g* (Just ask Gordon. He's seen my library.) It takes something *really* new to impress me. Those guys talk about stuff for 5 solid hours that I had not heard anywhere! It's an advanced education IMO. I have a notepad handy every time I listen to it because it's sure to trigger some new ideas.

Anyway, didn't mean to go off on a tangent.*g* Sorry. Alex discusses in the audio how he used 1shoppingcart to pull up a list of customers to whom they e-mailed the info about the braindump series. Took one click. He also talked about getting info from there into a spreadsheet to determine the top clients of one of his clients. That wasn't brain surgery but he has an interesting way of arriving at the answers. He uses techniques he learned when he was involved with corporate turnarounds.

Anyway, awesome stuff.

> Should it somehow not be the answer, can you
> briefly elaborate on what you meant by using
> a "tracking script?" (i.e. are we
> just talking about one script which can do
> it all, how would I go about setting it up,
> do you have anyone you'd recommend to do
> this, etc.)

I see that Harvey also gave you a reply. Harvey is *much* more knowledgeable about this arena than I.

But yes. Using the method Harvey described, you can install one script and track pretty much everything you listed. Mizel and Mandossian do a *great* job discussing this topic in the audio series I mentioned.

The scripts I'm "familiar" with are CGI. Typically, you install the script and it guides you through creating redirects for the pages you want to track. It then gives you the links which you use in your pages instead of linking directly to the other pages. The script also takes care of statistics but you also have your site stats to rely on. (Do I have that about right Harvey?)

I know about this technology but haven't actually installed one yet. That's why I said "familiar" earlier. I'm getting ready to do that very thing myself. My wife and I have an e-book project about to hit the street. I'm going to be using the tracking script for that. I'm planning on using a "free" one that Wes Blaylock had available awhile back. I think it's U-Track or something like that. I'll report back here on my experiences if you like.

Rick Smith, "The Net Guerrilla"