Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Texanisms are hotter than a jalapeno in a heatwave....
> Wow, Dien!
> This is an amazing discovery, one which I
> will surely watch closely.....and the name
> of the URL really says it all....
> Something with STRANGE and TEXAS in the
> title....either redundant or a non sequitar,
> depending upon where you reside, eh?
Heheh LOL! :)
Thanks Julie! :)
Texas sure seems like an interesting place with lots of interesting folks. I've never made it there yet but I hope to do so one day. :)
I've really gotten interested in Texanisms.... Mostly because of what I saw of Dan Rather's use of Texanisms on election night. I enjoyed them!
Actually, they remind me of some colorful sayings here in Oz -- though my impression so far is that most of the Aussie sayings seem to be uhh... less suitable for the prudish. :)
As they say in Oz, these Texanisms are better than a poke in the eye with a burnt stick....
So I'm hopin' to make it to the Lone Star State one day to visit the great people of Texas first-hand.... )
P.S. I already know that I like Californians -- I spent around 5 months in Berkeley in 1994-95, umm... that's typical Californian right? :) (Heheh, just kidding... I guess most Californians don't have piercings through every possible flap of skin like they do in Berkeley....)
P.P.S. I've found a whole collection of Dan Rather's colorful expressions from election night, many of them might be Texanisms (any comments?).... Here they are....
QUOTES FROM DAN RATHER ON ELECTION NIGHT
1. Sweeping through the south like a tornado through a trailer park
2. It's shaky like cafeteria jello
3. They are cracklin like a hickory fire
4. He just didn't tumble off the turnip truck
5. You can bet the rent money
6. If you are in the kitchen mabel, come back in
7. They are doing backflips in Nashville
8. It's hotter than a New York elevator in August
9. He swept the south like a big wheel through a cotton field
10. It's so tight, you can't get a cigarette paper between them
11. For him to win it would be like trying to scratch his ear with his elbow
12. It's tension city
13. It's cardiac arrest time
14. It's call 911 time
15. Hold on to your drawers
16. Turn down the lights, the party just got started
17. It's wild, wacky, wolly
18. They are jumping out of their seat like they had been stabbed with a hat pin
19. The lights are going out for them
20. Adios, been good to see you, not gonna happen
21. He'll be madder than a rained on rooster
22. Close only counts with horseshoes and hand grenades
23. This much tension, can't cut it with a saw, requires a blow torch
24. His chances are slim, and slim has left town
25. Votes only talk everything else walks
26. It's spandex tight
27. The opera isn't over til the heavy lady sings, but Bush hears her humming
28. They put up and now they can shut up
29. It's closer than pages in a book
30. Madder than a snapping turtle
31. California was a taco, Texas was a burrito, but Florida is the big tamale
and also these....
Don't bet the trailer money on it yet
About as complicated as a wiring diagram for some dynamo
You trust your mother but you cut the cards, I'm going to check it out again
He has his back to the wall and his shirt tail on fire
Closest race in the English language.
and believe it or not, here's some more....
"He spent money like he had shorted Microsoft." (On Jon Corzine spending $80 million to win his New Jersey Senate race.)
"They'll be doing back flips in Nashville." (On Gore winning Pennsylvania.)
"These returns are running like a squirrel in a cage."
"It was as hot and squalid as a New York elevator in August." (On the New York Senate race.)
"Bush has run through Dixie like a big wheel through a cotton field."
"It would be Shakespearean for Al Gore to lose because of his home state."
"This will have the people in Austin standing up like they got stuck with hat pins." (On the recantation of Florida results.)
"If he doesn't carry Florida, Slim will have left town." (On Gore's chances.)
"Hotter than a Laredo parking lot." (On the race)
"I think you would likelier see a hippopotamus run through this room than see George Bush appoint Ralph Nader to the Cabinet."
"This race is as tight as a too-small bathing suit on a too-hot car ride back from the beach."
"If a frog had side pockets, he'd carry a handgun." (In response to somebody telling him that if someone won one state ...)
"We've lived by the crystal ball, we're eating so much broken glass. We're in critical condition."
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
Other recent posts on the forum...