SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > Original SOWPub Forum Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 4, 2000, 06:48 PM
Mike Rodman

Default "Looks like a hard way to make a living!"

A humorous thing happened while out taking my (almost) regular run!

It had been a busy week for me with getting caught up on all of my work. Before I took the next week off for the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally.

My lady friend had been out of town on a business trip, so I had plenty of time to work. And also plenty of time to think upon how much more I was wanting to get back into an Internet business again.

Even though I despise running... (My best time in college was a 6 second flat 40 yard dash! HA! I wonder why they CALLED it a 'Dash'???) Anyway I run mainly for the benefits of the excersise. And only recently did I become aware that while out running... My brain would slowly shift into a creative state.

Much like some people will meditate... I've found runs of more than 45 minutes will generate some intriguing ideas! By turning loose of your thoughts... They sort of randomly look at things from many different angles.

It was on a run today, where I was in a daze, just listening to my Asic running shoes beating a steady rythmn on the pavement. Feeling my body shifting from side to side, in accordance to the rythmn my shoes were playing.

My mind was busily manipulating thoughts and ideas for an upcoming project... Just going with the flow... Having a great time wondering just where had these ideas been hiding at... Feeling the warmth of the sun penetrating my bare back and shoulders... Things were just falling into place on their own without any input from me! I was watching a workable, viable, profitable project unfolding within my mind... When all of a sudden I hear...

"Hey!!! That looks like a hard way to make a living!!!"

It startled the heck out of me! It also took me out of my creative stride. But as I ran the loop back to the park... It dawned on me.

Yes! This would be a heck of a way to make a living. Being able to run in the middle of the day while others were working a 9-5 shift. Little did he realize, what looked like a hard run to him... Was actually a way, for me to find my release.

Some of my friends already believe I have it made... With what I do for a living. And in many ways I do have it better than most of them.

Now I smile when I think of the construction worker in his Ford pickup with the rack on the back hollering, "Hey!!! That looks like a hard way to make a living!!!"

"Wait until I reach my goals of another Internet business." I thought to myself... "Then see what it looks like to you fella!"

~ Mike