SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > Original SOWPub Forum Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 18, 2003, 10:10 AM
Gary Wilkinson

Default So you think that this post doesn't apply to *YOU*?

Hi

Networking is essential for any business, but what is networking?

Quite simply, it's making contacts for business and career purposes.

Are you networking your affiliate programs or do you think that this post doesn't concern you?

Could it be that you have some misconceptions about making connections via networkiong?

Here Are The Ten Biggest Misconceptions About Networking...see if your reason is listed below:

1. "Networking is manipulative" says Teresa, who owns a nanny agency. "I don't like the idea of twisting someone's arm to get that person to do something for me."

It's true, you can't exploit others and expect to build long-term relationships. the way to avoid manipulation, though, is to give more than you receive. And, when you want something, be up-front and overt about it. Saying, "To build my business, I give free workshops for young parents to show them how to find and manage a nanny. Do you know anyone who'd like an invitation?" will prompt a better response than a "hidden agenda" such as, "so do you know anyone with kids under five?".

2. "I tried networking last Thursday. It doesn't work."

To cultivate a bountiful network takes months - maybe even years. Don't have a 'microwave' mentality. You can't ZAP a relationship for thirty seconds. Networking is a long-term process.

3. "I just do my job. I don't need to network at work. what's the point?"

Smart employees use networking to stay in touch with internal customers and suppliers. Their networks alert them to problems before those problems get out of hand and they also help them to spot emerging trends.

These employee's break through bureaucratic bottlenecks. They use their personal contacts to get things moving and speed things up.

They build communities and gain support for projects and proposals. ?They collaborate and cooperate.

They create ad-hoc, cross-functional, problem solving teams. when somebody says "I need it yesterday" they come through. By networking at work or within the online community you develop your reputation as somebody who can be trusted to get the job done...and well!

4. "Networking is for people who are struggling to get their business off the ground. I have enough customers and don't need to network any more"

No matter what your title, or how long you have been in business you never outgrow the need to network.

You can use networking to your advantage. For example, it will ensure that you business remains competitive by networking with people who have similar jobs or businesses.

That's the best way to benchmark, to check out the best practises and compare yourself with people who are one rung above you on the corporate ladder.

5. Networking is boring, and uncomfortable."

If your conversations skitter over the surface, you need to find out how you can sidestep superficialities and get down to business.

Learn how to go beyond the chit-chat into conversations that can help solve potential customer problems, come up with new ideas and access valuable resources.

6. "I'm not looking for a job or any more work at the moment. I don't need to network".

Absolutely the worst time to begin networking is when you need to - after you decide to change jobs, lose your job or find your business in lean times.

Now is the time to be networking.

By increasing your visibility to your peers people will think of you when they want a particular job done and it will even lead to new opportunites along the way when you least expect it.

7. Networking has never done a thing for me or my career"

That's hard to believe. People can provide access to vital information - news of potential jobs, insights into industry trends and great ideas for a business of your own. sometimes a single conversation can change your life.

8. "Sure. I know how to network. You just hand out your business cards".

Handing out business cards isn't networking. most cards end up in the waste paper basket. To make contact, you must create a real human connection.

9. "I wasn't born with the gift of the gab. I'll never be any good at networking."

Nearly everybody feels like this. Hardly anybody feels that conversation comes naturally.

You can do it. All you need is the networking know-how. All of us can easily learn how to become better and better at connnecting with people effectively and comfortably.

10. "Networking is a waste of time. I leave networking events asking myself, 'why did I bother to come?'"

Most people who attend these events haven't actually figured out what they want to achieve from the event.

If you aim at nothing, you'll hit it!!

Go to networking events with goals in mind. That way you will find what you are looking for.

Now can you see why networking is essential for your business?

It can be done on or offline. Build a network of your own and keep in touch with them. Give and you will receive.

Let us know if you have done any networking and what your results are.

If you are still not convinced and don't think that networking is suitable for your business then we would love to hear from you too.

Gary Wilkinson

The Affiliates Club