SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > Original SOWPub Forum Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 30, 2003, 01:50 PM
Don Alm

Default Back in '98....

I discovered "Kustom Cards"...bought their Dealer Kit and proceeded to TRY and sell "Photo Business Cards" in Aspen, CO.

I "assumed" biz people in Aspen would be EASY to sell since most biz people there were into FULL COLOR for everything AND money was no problem...I thought.

So...I made up 4 or 5 samples of local biz people for freebies to show LOCAL biz people and proceeded to fall flat on my fisterous.

The cards cost me $90 per 1000 and I was trying to sell them for $250 per M. I figured $150 for my time of taking the shots was worth it.

BUT...they balked. And so, I found myself one evening sitting in my favorite chair, watching a Video with my wife...wondering whether I should chuck this thing or trying to think about some way I could sell these.

I knew I was a darn good salesperson so it had to be the "product"...which I still believed in. I KNEW that once I got someone to TRY the full color PHOTO biz cards they would keep coming to me for more because THEY WORKED. Recipients of the cards DID pay more attention to them...DID keep them longer and DID place them on the TOP of their stack of biz cards.

The MAIN problem was....I had to come up with a way to get people to use the cards...without giving away the first batch.

I thought, "There has to be a WAY to get people to try them!"

So...as I was sitting there, running thru my past experiences of ad promotions I was fondling the stack of photo biz cards sitting on the coffee table in front of me. It just so happened that sitting next to the stack of cards was the empty plastic case the video came in.

Almost unconsciously I laid a card on the front of the case. I saw that it would fit width-wise. I then laid another below it...then a 3rd and to my surprise I could fit THREE cards on the front of the case.

This NOW had my attention.

I quickly turned the case over and whala...3 cards could fit on the back also.

I thought, "Hey! Why don't I put SIX cards on each Video Case and offer the cases to Video Stores as FREE CASES!"

I then spent the rest of the evening making up a "Sample"...and a Promotion program to sell;
1) The Video Stores on accepting my free cases
2) The local biz owners on having a Photo Kard on Video Cases that would be handed out EVERY NIGHT to DIFFERENT local consumers.

The next morn I went to my local Video store and showed the owner my sample.

He AGREED to take as many cases as I wanted to give him AND he promised to put his New Videos in them.

I then went to 6 more Video stores in the area and 3 agreed to use my cases.

WHALA! I was in business!

I then went back to the same people who had turned me down for Kards and told them I would place their Photo Kards on Video Rental Cases for $495 for 13 weeks exposure in ONE Video Store.

NOW...I got orders! I got SIX orders that day. Then went and filled spaces on the other stores.

In 2 months I had 12 Video Stores handling my cases and with each order I gave my customer 100 cards AND....guess what happened?

Right! In a couple of weeks they called and asked me to get them MORE KARDS!

So...I was in "pig heaven".

I did this for a couple of years and found the people at Kustom Cards to be very helpful and provided a good product with good service.

So...even though the idea of placing Photo Business Cards on Video Rental Cases has been done, does NOT mean it couldn't be done again.

I also put the Kards on a plastic card holder that sat on restaurant tables for diners to see.

I placed them in plastic holders that sat on top of TV Sets in motel rooms for tourists to see.

I made a LOT of money with Photo Business Cards BUT...by not selling the cards themselves...by selling a PROGRAM that INCLUDED the Kards.

Go for it! Only thing holding you back is YOU!

Don Alm

Photo Business Cards in my MIDAS REPORT