SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > Original SOWPub Forum Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 6, 2000, 11:44 AM
Gordon Alexander

Default Julie, we are kindred spirits, and here is why....

First,

Thanks for dropping in. You may not have ever heard of me before, but I've been around awhile.

I've kept a close eye on Brad Swift and applaud his developments in the human potential movement, hope he and you don't mind my calling it that.

I worked for Hope Homes, Inc. for 8 years as a houseparent, in fact, my wife and I were the first direct staff people hired.

Before that I worked at Mary Thomas Group Homes.

As mentioned elsewhere, I have 10 years DIRECT care experience LIVING with PEOPLE like your brother. Finest group of people I know.

But there is another part, one that I don't talk all that much about, but on my left hand I have several scars.

Scars put there by a client of mine when I worked in the mental health system. He didn't just threaten my life, he actually tried to take it.

So, like you Julie (I've read YOUR site cover to cover) I too had a wake-up call.

And went in a different direction. In fact we are both trying to help people find and achieve their full potential.

I admire you for taking a hands on "coaching" approach, one that I choose not to do.

I think more people need good coaches. Did you read my post about the Interdisciplinary approach, and the TEAM concept, and the PERSONAL PROGRAM PLAN?

I know you know what an IHP and all that stuff is, and you've probably have sat in your share of meetings where they talked ABOUT your brother, rather than TO Him.

My hero in the field is Lee Graber, if you have ever heard of him, he's a character, for sure, but NO one defends the rights of people like your brother like Lee does. That is how I served too.

YOU too have some great stories to share, and I hope you will feel comfortable enough to post them here.

Thank you for stoping by, and I guess using that offensive word had a pay off for us...it got people like you to read it.

Sorry about the mouse though, would you like for me to replace it?

I am very proud and honored to have had the priveledge to work with and for people like your brother, I truly believe they are a gift for us all.

I'll do what I can to educate the ignorant, and THANKS again J.J.S. (love that name, it's poetic)

for stopping in.

Gordon Alexander