SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > Original SOWPub Forum Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Poll: THjmX
Poll Options
THjmX

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 6, 2000, 05:24 PM
Richard Vaughan

Default Not an obvious way.

Most people think cure, not prevention. I think most folks wouldn't consider what am I going to do now unless they were in a situation where things had gone bad.

Maybe successful people who watched the show thought about what they'd do if they were in that situation, but these challenges like the TV show only seem to reinforce the fact that successful people would do pretty much what they did before to get success again.

Would successful people even consider, worse case scenrio when things are going well? I'm not talking about if one of their products didn't sell, I'm saying would they consider the options of starting out again with nothing.

If they did and they'd had success, then it's back to what they did before.

And that's why I think these challenges are some what pointless. They only serve to show others how to do something that has already proven to be successful.

None of the people in the TV example radically changed the way they'd made money before.

Sure the TV show and the challenge in general are interesting as examples of how you got successful in the first place.

A better show and a better premise would be..."How to take your skills or learn new skills and find success" and then one could look at their current skills and situation.

I agree that taking stock of your life and your skills is fundamental, but I don't think a TV show that shows successful people using their past skills to get success again, shows people how to do that or at the very least not obviously.

Maybe someone sitting on the couch who's life was in the can would maybe think about their options, but would they really? Maybe they'd just get mad at the participants just doing what they did before.

Failure leads to fear, fear leads to anger, anger leads to.....where's Yoda when you need him.

Still, maybe the show would give a few ideas and that may help.

Maybe the challenge isn't totally pointless, I just don't think it's an ideal way to help unsuccessful people.

As in the show, the people who had success, would just copy what they did and people with no success would probably be blindsided by the how people make money aspect.

I just don't think that these challenges are specific enough to help people who have never had success, but they do provide viewers with a selection of ways to make money if you already know how.

Just my opinion.

Richard