SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 26, 2008, 09:25 PM
Adman

Default So is this guy...

About 10 yrs ago, "Ken" opened a "Quick Oil Change" business with 2 bays. He was going along well until someone else opened a competing biz at the other side of town....then "Ken's" biz slowed down. Then, 2 yrs ago someone opened an "Oil Can Henry's" (which is VERY snazzy, with mechanics wearing spiffy uniforms AND CAPS)

"Ken's biz really slowed down....so...because I've used "Ken's" service since he opened, I suggested he use the bay he uses for "Radiator Flushes" and offer a "Detailing" service in that bay. It's rarely used and he took my advice and now has a 2nd bay for "Detailing"....although he doesn't charge "$149 to $199" for Detailing. I don't think he can get that in a small town.

AND...in my area....the first 4 months in 2007 there were a little over 1100 homes sold in that period. The first 4 mos of 2008, there were 306 homes sold. About 1/4th the number. This meant that MANY Real Estate Agents were scrambling to keep up their payments on their SUV's.

Around New Years, I suggested to a RE buddy (who hadn't sold or listed a property in the last 4 mos of the year) that he offer a "Mobile Detailing" service to his RE buddies who WERE selling or listing....right in their office parking lot.

This was not a "Full Detail" job...just a quick wash and polish with a new chemical that you spread on and wipe off...vac and spritz the interior...for $50.

I told him just 5 or 6 jobs a day...would allow him to "make his payments" until he sold or listed a property. He took my advice and is now also going to businesses other that Realty Offices...doing 8 to 10 cars a day.

So...he's now "making Lemonade out of his Lemon".

I'll bet someone reading this could go to a local "Oil Change" or "Auto Repair" shop...set up a portable canopy and provide a "Car Detailing" service, giving a commission to the owner or "renting" the space.

They could also use the special chemical that makes the "Black Plastic" on a car, look like new. (I forgot who was offering a Report here, on doing just this service to car dealers)

The country may not be in an actual recession BUT...Dell Computers pulled out of our town knocking 280 people outa w job. And...with only 1/4th of the Houses being sold...Lowe's, Home Depot and the 2 lumber yards in our town are "hurting bad"...to the extent that the Big Box stores have laid off people...and other businesses have slowed down to where UNemployment in my area is 12%.

So...with gas at $4/gal and going higher daily...some of you folks could be in a "belt-squeezing" time in the next few mos or years.

Don Alm
54 money-making programs
http://www.midasreports.com