SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 25, 2008, 10:35 AM
Administrator

Default Contests as part of "Event" marketing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millard Grubb View Post
This whole idea of having a local contest using the golf/poker model is interesting. I imagine it could be done not only with games, but hotdog eating contests, best bar-b-que, best wedding dress, best street rod, etc.

Has anyone had experience with other ways to use this model?

Millard

Millard,

I was on board and working at SCI in the Special Events division when they held both "The Legends of Country Music" and the "Raise the Titanic Event" and even The Legends of Nascar.

All of these were very high ticket items, very successful EVENTS that brought in huge amounts of money...and HUGE pains in the patoot too...which happens routinely when dealing with Celebs...ONE A-hole (in my personal opinion) was Kenny Rogers {the old one, the one that was aging handsomely, like myself, not the NEW "catman" Kenny)...

who couldn't be bothered by the riff raff who had paid thousands of dollars to "mingle" with their favs...Kenny ran from the stage to his motor home and locked the door.

Anyhow, back on point...

It has been my experience that CONTESTS that are tied into EVENTS have the higher chance of working as a promotion. HOT dog eating contests sponsored by Oscar Meyer or Nathans...or using their products as supplied by a dealer/distributor, something that helps sell more HOT dogs, could have a good turnout.

Eating contests are popular at local fairs and events. Although there are national contests too.

To create a successful EVENT, you have to have a couple of elements...

One: high passion index.
Two: Either exclusivity OR Open to all event.

In 1996, NASCAR was HOT, but not as HOT as today...those that were into NASCAR had a very high passion for it. Same as country music fans. When you got a chance to attend an exclusive and private performance and mingle with the "legends", then you can charge a very HIGH price for the exclusivity.

And of course, you can market the "event" on DVD/Video to those that couldn't make it...and this was in the 90's, before the Internet gurus invented "event" marketing. As I stated, I worked in the Special Events/Special Projects division while at SCI.

My clients, today, are seeking a different type of event...one that "introduces" a product, creates a market and establishes dominance in that market for years to come, all for the sole purpose of SELLING products.

So, in this case, you have to create the Interest, you have to fuel the passion and it may be done with money, prizes, fame...that sort of thing.

I think small businesses have a great marketing opportunity (and we discussed this several years ago Millard)...with the SPONSORING of these local events and contests.

Throw a party. Make it either exclusive or Open to all. Give them a reason for coming. Appeal to either their passion or greed.

Collect the dough...and then NEXT!

Gordon J. Alexander

PS. My clients have a very unique twist on bean bag tossing, an affordable product that can fit on the shelf of WalMart, portable, and a variation that makes it a game that any kid of 5 can play, or anyone 95.

If we held the event during Super Bowl, had a PARTY that combined Super Bowl and "corn hole" then maybe they'd get what they want. That's what I'm getting paid to think about.