SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 8, 2008, 12:32 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Re: bland selling sites

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominumBelli View Post
Finally back to lurking the sowpub board again, after a few years (dunno if anyone other than Thomas, and possibly Dien Rice, would remember me). I've been looking for posts on CPC methods, and affiliate systems.

I clicked through to two links from these boards:

http://www.businesslyceum.com/DepressionProof.html
and
http://www.midasreports.com/stoprefundscold/

and it got me thinking ... is it detrimental for these pages to be so "bland". The information is without doubt useful, but I have to seriously work to absorb the information. On a wide screen monitor like mine, each line stretches out a long way. There are a lot of design conventions that these pages seem to completely ignore, conventions aimed to improve readability of text, etc. Also, I've been looking at some pages written by Shawn Casey, his first introduction was a sideshow presentation with audio, which definitely helped me to assimilate his information with a lot less pain than reading blocks and blocks of text.

Is it then an advantage, or a disadvantage to have "bland" layouts? On one hand, it's less attractive, and more difficult to get customers, on the other the people that knuckle down and read through the text are definitely looking for the information and haven't just clicked away.
Yes of course I remember you! I hope things are going well!

On sales pages with lots of text, to my understanding, many people have tested video or audio on a sales page, and increased response. (That is, video or audio, along with text as well.) I think why that might be the case is that different people prefer different things. Some prefer to read text, others prefer to watch a video or listen to an audio presentation. If you have both, prospects can choose the format they like best!

Having said that, I think a text sales page makes sense for those two products, because they are written products. So, people who will want to buy them I presume will like to read, so will be happy to read the sales message.

As for me personally, I actually prefer reading text to listening to an audio or watching a video. That's because I can "skim" a text, and jump around, or re-read something easily if I didn't get it the first time. It's harder to do all those things with a video or audio (you can't skim at all, and the other things are a little more difficult). I can usually read faster than people can speak, so I find I can get through things quicker if I read. But I know many people prefer audio or video to reading a text (especially if you're tired!).

Well, that's one person's opinion...!

- Dien