SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 3, 2008, 11:16 PM
-TW

Default Re: The 800-pound gorilla -- aka The connection we're not making...

Hi Gordon...

You probably didn't get my rant because it's not entirely clear in my head either.

It's just a gut feeling I get as I look around me with somewhat newly opened eyes.

I'll try to clarify it more, but I fear it'll only make things cloudier.

Two well known phrases come to mind -- "Be careful what you wish for (it may come true)" and "Begin with the end in mind."

What's the point of being (or dreaming of becoming) a low-level entrepreneur?

After all is said + done, is that what many of us are 'wishing' for -- ACTUALLY?

Is that the 'end' we have in mind at the beginning -- REALLY?

In looking around me, I think it IS!

I think many of my 'peeps' (colleagues) are just that, people who are dreaming of 'skyrocketing' straight to what they THINK is the 'top,' but which is (in reality), actually the middle. Maybe even LOW-middle.

Here's a profile of people who are my colleagues (and this is just my impression -- I could be waaay off base)...

Unemployable (and proud of it)

Pioneer spirit

Full of excellent ideas

Full of real-world, down-n-dirty marketing knowledge

Wanting to figure out how to 'beat the system' (meaning unemployable + pioneer spirit = not be a 'sucker' and go the 'normal' route -- ie: college, 'regular' job/career, 'normal' hours, 'normal' lifestyle, etc.).

All that is commendable + wonderful.

But is that really the way to success? And what IS success, any way???

I see so many of my 'colleagues' thinking it is (or would be) a 'triumph' to reach the point of SCRAPING BY FINANCIALLY -- but on 'their terms.'

When you see too many biz-opps types flailing away for years + years, it's like seeing so many "I'm really gonna fix it someday, you'll see!" old cars up on blocks in the front yard with t he tall grass growing around them where the lawn mower couldn't reach -- you suddenly wake up one day in a moment of clarity -- seeing how PATHETIC it all is -- while the rest of the world is merrily chugging along with REAL people making REAL money -- paying NO ATTENTION to the 'insider secrets' we all know + love.

We haven't beaten the system aat all -- we have fallen VICTIM to the system -- but we don't even know it.

It's like people in radio (I used to be in that biz) -- they are legends in thier own minds!

They do their shows, they are 'BIG STARS' in their markets, then they go outside to the radio station parking lot, and drive off in their 17 YEAR OLD BOKEN DOWN P.O.S. CAR!

I'm waking up to the truth -- and I don't like it.

I don't care about waking any one else up, really.

I'm just trying to report on what I'm seeing through my own eyes.

My eyes may be distorting reality too, who knows.

A real-life example -- I recently saw some guy's self-produced online TV show. Can't remember his name -- he's from the UK, now living in the US. He's doing something I could see myself doing. He advises small biz's about marketing tactics, etc.

While watching the show, I got a little pang of jeolousy (sp?) -- like, "Hey, I wish that was me doing that," and "Wow! he really has gotten his act together." etc.

But then I thought -- "Hey wait a minute -- who in the real world is gonna take that guy seriously?"

The REAL answer (the 800-pound gorilla answer) is ***NO ONE***.

He's a legend in his own mind.

To the real world, he's like a UFO freak with a silver colander on his head.

THAT'S what I'm getting at.

There's low-level crap -- biz-opp type crap -- IM crap -- Marketing tactic crap.

Then there's the REAL WORLD, where the REAL success + REAL money are.

----- AND NEVER THE TWAIN SHALL MEET.

Everyone on this forum, and all forums like it, are involved in a sub-sub-sub-sub-sub culture -- and none of the participants seem to realize that!

We are legends in our own minds (only).

We are all like UFO freaks with silver colanders on our heads.

There's nothing wrong with that -- AS LONG AS YOU PUT THINGS IN PERSPECTIVE, AND ***REALIZE*** THE REAL SITUATION.

Am I making any sense?

The answer/solution is...

1) Realize the real situation.

2) Figure out ways to LINK -- no, a better way to put it is, FIND PORTALS that LINK the low-level world with the REAL world.

This is what those scam artists with "The Secret" managed to do (by getting on Oprah).

This is what the Blair Witch people managed to do.

There ARE ways to do it. PORTALS do exist -- or can be created.

But the first step must be to realize that one is LOW-LEVEL to begin with -- and the second step is to STOP GLORIFYING LOW-LEVEL CRAP. The next step is to face the fact that, under normal circumstances, there's low-level, and the real world, and they normally NEVER MEET.

And the last step is to SEEK PORTALS or WORM HOLES where they DO -- or can be made to -- meet.

Hope that helps (whew!)

-- TW