SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 5, 2008, 01:01 PM
Fishman

Default Re: How I Woke Up

It's been my experience that not many people ever wake up.
That's why the few lead the many. The many are always looking for the "pill".
Something... anything to quell they're "anxiety" of the "unknown".

I think that's why so many people cling to "belief " systems. That's they're "pill". But that "pill" keeps them from thinking for themselves. You Hugh and Don both woke up once you started to think for yourself and not to "follow" the crowd. Don, gotta hand it to you... with kids to feed and no immediate source of income, that takes some "cajones"(is that spelled right)
to do something like that. But you did have income, it was there the whole time. Just existing in a different format. A different "way".

Most can never begin to think like that because the fear, the doubt, and the disbelief "choke" them into submission. And most people are afraid of alot.

Mostly because from the time they were two they were told to "be careful", "don't rock the boat", "don't talk to strangers" and they were picked up everytime the fell down instead of being given the chance to pick them selves up once in a while.

In a world dominated by so much fear it's hard to be "objective" when everyone is giving you a "subjective" point of view. That's also why people usually wake up during times of crises in their lives. It shakes them into an "objective" point of view. A higher standing point.

I think most people look at life from a point that is like looking out a window on the world from the first or second floor. But then those fortunate enough to have a "crises" or something that shakes them up, get a chance to view the world from a "higher" perspective, say from the 5th, 6th, or 7th floor.

Looks different from up there. Remember "Charles Keating" from The Dead Poets Society when he stood up on his desk.

It's sad really. So many people asleep. But even when you wake up it seems there is more to learn.

One epiphany I had was when I realized that we all "sell" something but it falls into two categories. A product or a service. Sometimes both at the same time. So for me it's been like trying on a suit. All the ways to make money look good from afar. But when you try on the "suit" it doesn't look as good on or it doesn't "feel" right. Then you get everyone around you, friends, family, etc. telling you that you just didn't stick with it or whatever.

But my thing has been this... life is way too long and way to short at the same time. Too long to bang your head against the wall even if it makes you a million. Too short in the aspect that if you stay "lost in the wilderness" too long, you'll emerge at the end of your life having done nothing but been lost.

I think most people want the same things deep inside. Freedom to do what you want, when you want, with who you want, whenever you want, as much as you want without limitations. Not necessarily no limits to spending, but just not being limited to having to wonder..."hmm can I buy this now?" "if I do will hurt me financially in some way".

I know this, I've been and seen others who have been, in a positon in life where it didn't take a million to be "free". At that same time it does take a certain level of income to have freedom. But I don't think it takes as much as most people think. But it does take as much as you "think" you need/want.

And there is the paradox.

That's all the rambling I've got for now.

Fred