SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 12, 2008, 06:25 AM

Default Re: I'm placing an ad

Is it ok if I didn't like the ad much?

If I saw that ad, I wouldn't pay attention to it. (And my car has a scratch or two!)

1. Final Touch is in gradient. It may or may not come out well on paper. Final Touch is too big and too center too. You need to change its size, colouring and position.

2. Yellow background is a bit too strong. It makes me pay less attention to the text. Especially in a busy magazine. Whats better? A thick broken border like coupons have. Will instantly make people pay attention to your ad. And a background that makes it easy for the ad to be read. (If you want to go for contrast - try black background with white or yellow text. But yellow background with black text is not easy on the eyes.)

3. Picture of Dawn. I don't think its a bad idea. But an even better idea is her picture in action - removing the scratches from a car. Or as Michael suggests - good before and after pictures will do better. But I don't recommend pulling the picture down altogether.

4. Most of your benefit bullet points do nothing for me. They are ho-hmm.
* Increase the resale value of your vehicle
By how much?
* Very inexpensive
How inexpensive is very inexpensive?
* Satisfaction Guaranteed
Or do you refund the money? Whats the guarantee?
* Dealer recommended
Huh? As a individual car owner, am I even supposed to connect dealer as car dealers? And which dealer recommends?
* License & Insured
But how does that help me?

You've given answers to all these questions that I raise on your website. But not on the ad.

--

My approach would be:

1. Headline: Got Paint Chips & Scratches on Your Car? Let Final Touch Fix It For You

2. Before & After picture - a good one

3. Followed by a testimonial - something like:
"My car had 4 scratches. Final Touch fixed it for a mere $90. And my car's resale value increased by $650! Every one should call them before they sell their cars!" - Joe Blogs

4. Followed by Call to Action and phone number. Something like:
For $85-125, you could raise the resale value of your car by $500 or more! Call 509-993-5832 and ask for our [magazine name] special and we will come and fix your car at your home!"

If there is no space for it all, remove the text in gray.

(My approach can be improved upon too - but its the best I can do in 10 minutes. Your benefit is: spend $100 to improve car value by $500. Your USP is: you will go to their place and fix the car. Focus on those 2 things. Everything else like dealer recommended etc is un-needed.)