SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 7, 2008, 11:32 PM
L.B. Jenkins

Default Gordon, Here's my recession argument.

Gordon,

What is the fastest way to scare the masses? Start hinting something is wrong in the economy and provide selective case studies. To begin this process you need to use a framework of dialogue that begins to push people's fear buttons. Now if you have some big name high profile companies going under then all the better to push an agenda.

Recession is a word used to terrify the masses and pushes all the right buttons. It is a word the media freely uses to keep the masses tuning back into their particular anchor person daily, so they can get another dose of fear and loathing and be controlled not to go about their daily lives buying what they want to keep the economy flowing.

What the masses do not pick up on is the fact that business is still going on all around them. New business, old business, repeat business, additional business, business up starts, business expansions, & simply put business in general is not halted but still conducting transactions.

Now those that see a decline in their business have not followed a simple sow and reap, cause and effect strategy to bring in new customers or not following up to bring in repeat business. That is 100% their own fault and not that of any economy. (The only exception might be a wide spread natural disaster, as we've all seen in recent years such as Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans and other such disasters around the globe.) But our focus is on this media/government driven toxin known as a recession.

It doesn't matter what business we list, the bottom line is that people will still buy. It is up to the merchant to stay abreast of his/her client's changing buying habits and be the first to provide them with products that go along with their client's changing tastes, wants, needs and desires. The best model to study is grocery stores or super markets.

Do I believe our economy is off? Yes, but only in certain industries. But there in again, only certain businesses within that industry and not every business related to that industry is struggling. IE. GE, Ford and Chrysler are struggling, but not Toyota, Honda, Nissan, BMW, Mercedes or Hyundai which are made in the USA.

Do I believe business is off? No, because business trade, especially in the import/export sector continues to rise. If it is rising, that means people are buying and selling.

Do I believe people are more selective now than in the past? No. People have always been selective. Economy doesn't make people selective if it's something they want. Those who feel the biggest pinch in business, are those businesses, that do not watch and adjust to market trends.

Do I believe there are businesses that need to go away? Absolutely! They are a niches, that really had no chance to survive regardless of the economy or they simply have grown complacent and greedy.

Remember before Walmart, was Kmart. Before Kmart, was Kroger. Before Kroger was Sears and so on. If one were to search each industry's history, we would see those that were giants, those that became giants and those that are giants now.

There is an ancient proverb I read that states: "When hay is removed, new growth appears." What we are seeing again is the old outdated businesses finally being removed, making room for new businesses. What I find amusing about the proverb is that the field is still producing hay, which means people still want your type of hay.