SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 4, 2009, 11:54 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Re: How do you manage your contacts / rolodex?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankesh View Post
So - if you have a system of maintaining a rolodex file - can you share it with us? What softwares do you use to file the info? What things about every contact do you store besides name / phone / address / email? How do you keep in touch with folks? Do you publish a newsletter / send out postcards etc?
Hi Ankesh,

I think my system is too primitive... and I might try out something new and different in the upcoming future...

Nevertheless...

I just use Excel! Across the top I have different columns, with headings like...

Name (of the contact person). Of course, this is the person's name.

Last contact (R=regular contact). I try to keep track of when I last was in contact with someone. People who I am in contact regularly (e.g. daily or weekly), I just put "R". The idea with tracking this is I can see when I last was in contact with someone, and can see when I should get back in touch. (I got the idea from my brother Thomas, who as you can see from his email, has a more sophisticated system which I will probably try out myself too. ) Admittedly, I'm not as good as updating this column as I should be...

Email 1, Email 2, Email 3. 3 columns for different email addresses. If I only have one email address, I leave the next two columns blank.

Phone. Their phone number(s).

Group. I have abbreviations for different groups people are in, and people can be in more than one group. For example, "F" = "Family" - this means my relatives. "A" = "Amigo" (i.e. "friend" in Spanish) - people who are social friends. I use the "A" for "Amigo" instead of "F" for "Friend" because "F" was already taken for "Family". "B" = "Business" - that is, a business contact. "P" = "Physics" - that is, people who I know from my past as a physicist. Of course, people can be in multiple categories, then I just use two letters, separated by a comma.

Notes. These are additional notes I may add. For example, notes about their family (like their spouse's name, for example), their website(s), where I know them from or who I met them through, their profession or business details, and generally any more details I know about which seem useful or relevant.

Anyway, it's quite primitive, and it's about time I did better. But I thought I'd share it in case it helps give you ideas...

Best wishes,

Dien