SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 20, 2009, 06:40 PM
MichaelRoss

Default No, they can NOT see through it. Only those mentally unplugged can see through it

TW,

Thanks for mentioning this.

I get a kick out of the ads that make statements and claims that Appear to make sense but actually are completely meaningless...

Contains 25% moisturizing milk. [what the heck is moisturizing milk?]

Has exfoliating micro beads [your guess is as good as mine. But I'm thinking small plastic balls that cost bugger all but mean less chemical in the bottle while still charging the same]

Installing X brand above ground pool is good for you and the environment [how? well, no mention of that. I'm still trying to work that one out]

I also like the Implied ads. Where implications are made and any conclusions are really drawn by your own mind and not actually stated...

We all know eating healthy is the best way to start the day. Cheerios satisfy the whole family. [if you think they're nutritious that's your own doing]

Kids need water. Cottees makes water fun. [colored sugar syrup does not make a good water additive]

Did you know when we work on a computer we tend to blink 80% less than we normally do? And that the increased UV rays which result from Global Warming, (even through winter!) can have a detrimental effect on our eyesight? [did you know looking right at the sun is no good for your eyes - regardless of any dubious Global Warming scaremongering?]

Dogs are our best friends and we know how important it is to keep him/her happy and healthy. Novartis Sentinel®Spectrum is a great product designed to conveniently treat your pet for parasites [Great product? That it keeps them Healthy & Happy is your own conclusion never actually stated]

Life can be busy and it's not always easy to eat a balanced diet. Centrum can help [yeah yeah, heard it all before. It has vitamins and minerals just like all fruit and vegetables do]

Saving you 23% on your car insurance [in small almost illegible writing - compared with a different policy we also offer]

Reach toothbrushes clean your teeth 51% better [better than what?]

And so on and so forth.

All these things stand out like dogs cods to me. All the Global Financial Crisis talk. Swine flu. SARS scaremongering years back. But it seems Most people don't see it even when their own experiences tell them otherwise.

Guys on construction sites taking home $1,500 a week concerned about the Global Financial Crisis when the job they're on has 3 years left to run and the Co is putting more people on almost daily to complete the project on time.

One delivery guy telling his customer he might have to close shop. Why is business down? Oh no, I'm busier than ever but with this global financial crisis...

I want to go overseas, but what with SARS I think I'll stay here to see what happens.

In the state of NSW in the last 79 days over one million people have rushed to get Tamiflu shots In Case they get Swine Flu. Despite Swine Flu not being the mass killer thing the media say it COULD be and despite Tamiflu not being effective against that Swine Flu strain and despite them seeing with their own eyes that people are not dropping like flies due to it.

One kid in a school is diagnosed and suddenly all the parents are lining up with their children to get jabbed.

War On Terror - terror is a feeling. Does that mean we are like having a war on sadness, anxiety or such? Seems to me the constant govt/media hype is what's giving people feelings of Terror.

Of course, the biggest BSers are the govt. Every policy is about This or That as in... to Help blah blah blah. HOW this will help blah blah blah is never mentioned. Because you cannot scrutinize govt policies too closely you know. Just accept what you are being told.

Conclusion TW is that "No" people do not see through the BS. In fact, it would appear the opposite is true... they accept it and even parrot it back.

Look at songs. People don't comprehend the lyrics. Cases in point...

Bryan Adams: Run To You

Quote:
She says her love for me could never die
But thatd change if she ever found out about you and i

Oh - but her love is cold
It wouldnt hurt her if she didnt know, cause...

When it gets too much
I need to feel your touch

Im gonna run to you
Im gonna run to you
Cause when the feelins right Im gonna run all night
Im gonna run to you
Shes got a heart of gold shed never let me down
But youre the one that always turns me on

This is not an endearing love song.

How many people get married to the Body Guard song...

Quote:
If I should stay,
I would only be in your way.
So I'll go, but I know
I'll think of you ev'ry step of the way.

Try this fun exercise... get a newspaper and a magic market and highlight all the baseless claims and statements made in stories and ads and the like. I think you'll be surprised.

Michael Ross
www.michaelrossonline.com