SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 2, 2009, 11:19 PM
Adman

Default "Video Rental Cases"!

Wow! You reminded me of one of my greatest successes. It's been almost TWENTY YEARS since I did the "Video Rental Case Ad" program! Time flies, when yer having fun.

That program is what got me into "Nationwide Marketing" and one that I made a LOT of moolah with.

To recap;

I got the idea for that program one night while watching tv with the family.

A few weeks before, I bought a "Photo Business Card" dealership (Full Color Photos on business cards) I was having a tough time selling the cards, even in glitsy Aspen mainly because they were a lot more expensive than regular, plain, cards.

However, I did manage to sell 8 orders and had just received them that day.

I had rented a movie and while I was sitting there I was doodling with the 8 boxes of cards on the coffee table in front of me. Also on the coffee table was the clear plastic the video came in.

Without thinking, I happened to place one of the cards on top of the Video Rental Case and WHALA! It HIT me! I discovered 3 cards would fit on each side...6 cards to a case.

I then realized that...instead of trying to sell the cards alone...what if I were to offer to place someone's cards on 100 Video Rental Cases?

So....I put together a sample and went to the Video store the next morn... showed him my sample and asked him if I could provide him with FREE Video Cases with my cards on them.

He thought it was a great idea and I found selling the Photo Cards on Video Rental Cases to be VERY EASY. And...with each order I'd give my customers 100 of the cards to hand out AND....just about every customer came back for MORE! ....because they found out themselves how IMPRESSIVE they were.

I then went to other video stores and did the same thing. And, one afternoon I decided to call Entrepreneur Mag and see if they knew of anyone else doing this. I didn't think I could be the originator of this program.

I got to talk to one of the editors...told him what I was doing and asked if he knew of anyone else doing this. He said, "Hold On! I'll check with the others here."

A few minutes later he came back on line and told me neither he nor any of the editors had ever heard of such a thing....and he asked me to take a photo and explain what I was doing.

Which I did and then proceeded to forget about it (I didn't know that it takes about 2 mos before a magazine to be put together, printed and distributed)

Well...one afternoon I went into my home office and noticed my answering machine blinking..."40 - 40 - 40". This meant there were 40 calls waiting.

I clicked the first one; "Hello! This is Max from Toledo. I saw your article in this months Entrepreneur Mag. Send me some info on how I can do this in my town!"

ALL the calls were like this. I cleared the calls and another 40 came in.

I then figured I had better put some kind of "Starter Kit" together.

Thus...I sold these packages for the next 3 yrs and it was the beginning of my "Starter Kit" programs....all from an "Accidental Idea"!

So...point is; "Keep Yer Mind Open! Ya never know WHEN you'll get that "Hot Flash" that could change yer life".

Thanks Steve. Hope all is well with you and yours down there in OZ.

Don Alm....still getting "Hot Flashes"