SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 12, 2009, 04:08 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Why I like this book...

I hope some have been able to download the book, and are reading it...

I just want to say, first, that Sam didn't ask me to say some of the things I did (such as providing the Amazon link, for instance)... They are all on my own initiative. I rarely do this kind of thing, I wanted to do it in this case because I think the book is "revolutionary", and because it's such a great deal for everyone...

Here's how I think it is different from what else is "out there"...

Some who have read "The E-Myth Revisited" may notice a superficial similarity. Both books talk about setting up "operational procedures" (in the E-Myth) or "working procedures" (in Work the System)...

I read the E-Myth quite a while ago. Here's an article I wrote a few years ago, based on my experience putting it into practice...

http://www.biztactics.com/blog/2005/...iness-more.php

In that article, I understood only a "glimmer" of what is truly possible with this approach. Sam Carpenter, author of "Work the System", is the one who made me finally realize the full potential...

In the "E-Myth", the focus is more on being able to create "operations manuals" for your various functions you do in your business. The benefit of this is that, at some point in the future, you can easily outsource those functions. You don't have to do them all yourself!

That's great... But there's much, much more that is possible. That's what Sam Carpenter brings to the table.

These "operations" are "systems"... And you can work on them, to make them more efficient...

Why is this important?

Think of this...

Imagine you are someone who writes books for hire (e.g. you write people's memoirs for them). Let's say that each "job" you do pays you $2,000.

Each "job" of writing a personal memoir has a lot of tasks to do - for example, you have to interview the person, collate and rearrange the information, write the chapters, proofread and edit the book, put in and modify any graphics, and so on.

Now, let's say that doing this work takes you 100 hours. That means you're making $20 an hour...

However, now let's say you write down the various "systems" you use to do all these tasks... Then you work "on" them, to make them more efficient.

By doing this, you discover faster, more efficient ways to do certain things. You may even discover that some of the things you were doing are not really necessary, and removing them doesn't reduce the quality of the final memoir.

By applying this process to your many "procedures" you use, you can probably whittle down your hours.

Let's say you have 10 different "procedures" you use in working to write a personal memoir. And let's say you are able to improve on each one, so that now, each procedure reduces the total time you take for the memoir by 5% (that is, each procedure-reduction means the total time you take is now just 95% of what it was before).

How much time will you save in the end?

When you calculate it, in this case, it will overall take you just 60% of the time it took you before, with all the reductions.*

That means that you've just increased your pay from $20 an hour, to around $33 an hour.

See the importance?

By continuing this process (and perhaps adding some outsourcing), you can increase your pay rate higher and higher.

This process can also be used to increase quality and consistency.

Another amazing thing is that Sam points out that, you can also apply this to other things in your life, too. It's not just limited to your business!

I'm at the very beginning of this process right now, however, one place I've applied it to is sorting my physical mail. Before, I had an "ad hoc" process to sort the various bills and other mail. I wrote down a "working procedure" of what I did - and immediately saw how I could improve it. Now, I have a much better, faster, and more organized procedure for sorting my mail.

I'm sure how you can see how many incremental improvements like this can, overall, change your life for the better...

It will take a while for some to read it, but if you have some improvements you've made, please share your experiences and thoughts here...

Best wishes,

Dien

* The calculation is that, if each improvement reduces the time by 5%, then the time after all the 10 procedure improvements is (0.95)^10 = 0.6 . That is, in the end, it will take you just 60% of the time it took before.

Last edited by Dien Rice : August 12, 2009 at 09:15 PM.