SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 26, 2009, 05:52 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Shark Tank and Dragon's Den!

Hi Robert and Phil and all,

Thanks for mentioning "Shark Tank"! I was thinking about writing a post about this myself...!

I've been a fan of the British show "Dragon's Den" for a long time... There's also a Canadian "Dragon's Den". "Shark Tank" is the American version... The original, I believe, was Japanese...

(I think you can see the British "Dragon's Den" in the USA on cable TV. You can also catch a lot of episodes of all of these shows on YouTube...)

Firstly, it's a great show for an entrepreneurial education! If you have any entrepreneurial aspirations at all, it is good to watch it for a dose of "reality"... The "sharks" / "dragons" sometimes give some really good (and realistic) advice...

Entrepreneurship is NOT always "easy"! It is easy to throw away a lot of money, then throw more good money after bad. Many of these fledgeling entrepreneurs have not checked if there is a market for their product, or they have not solved the problem of competition (e.g. they may have no "toll position"), or haven't solved some glaring problems with their idea or their business. Watching this show is a good way to become aware of many of these things for your own business pursuits.

One thing I miss with "Shark Tank" compared to the British "Dragon's Den" is in the British show (and I think in the Canadian show too), they interview the fledgeling entrepreneurs after they've met the dragons, however, they don't do that in the American show. I think that's a shame, since what the fledgeling entrepreneurs have to say about the "dragons" (or would have to say about the "sharks") can be quite revealing about the fledgeling entrepreneurs' mindset... (And it helps to sometimes reveal the "wrong" - or "right" - mindset to have.)

Nevertheless, they are all great shows for an entrepreneurial education! In both cases, as I mentioned, the "sharks" / "dragons" give some pretty good advice, which is good to pay attention to if you have entrepreneurial aspirations yourself!

- Dien

Last edited by Dien Rice : September 26, 2009 at 05:57 PM.