SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > Original SOWPub Forum Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 27, 2001, 10:19 PM
Michael Ross

Default The key lies in your post an old song and it's right in front of our nose.

Well, I tried to find the lyrics to the old song, but it would appear they aren't available online. And seeing as I'm going by memory, I could be wrong.

Anyway. The song, I believe, was from "Half a sixpence", All in the cause of economy. But the lines I'm recalling are, "System, Efficiency, Economy". So if those lines are in that song, then that's it.

System, Efficiency, Economy.

Thomas, you wrote,

> Now, I've mainly spoken about efficiency
> from an organisational standpoint -- how to
> increase efficiency in an overall system.

And I've highlighted System because that, I believe, is THE KEY.

Plans and Mission Statements are useless, for most people. They become, GONNA DO things, not MUST DO things.

The most efficient thing there is, is a system. The same thing the same way, every time. Work out by forethought, implimentation of the thought, and re-adjustment along the way.

And the funny thing is, it's around us everwhere, everyday.

How do you get dressed? Left leg first or right leg? It's automatic... an automatic system of dressing... which enables you to dress without thought and in the most efficient way, for you.

Everone's walk is as individual as their fingerprints. Why? It's what's most efficient, for them.

And when they walk, their body follows a system... a set of procedures... over and over again. The same way, every time... like a computer program.

What's the most efficient way for your driver to get to a client? Who can say? It probably depends on the time of day. And the driver would know that, deep down. So when 2pm comes around, instead of going the usual way he'll go the other way. If he forgets and gets caught in traffic he'll likely curse himself and say "I knew it."

Someone walks into a store. The system (procedure) kicks in...

Approach customer
Speak to customer (insert tested line here)
Etc.
Etc.

Our body gets a bug. The system (procedure) kicks in...

1: Work our what type of bug it is.
2: Crude bug destroyers kill bug, and everything else around while...
2a: Find appropriate anti-that-bug-T-cell takes place and chemical is released in body which calls for reinforcements and makes us feel ill (yes our bodies make us feel ill, it's the result of the reinforcement calling chemical)
3: Increae internal body temp so...
3a: Bugs find it harder to multiply while manufacture of appropriate T-Cell in limph glands is increased (that's why limphs swell).
4: Release appropriate T-cells in one hit killing the bug.

The same way, everytime.

Want to be more efficient in your personal life... develop a system/procedure/habit WITHOUT going against the grain.

Time Management... baloney. Your brain manages your times perfectly for the designated order of preference you REALLY want.

If you know you must make that call, but find other things to do, it's because you don't really want to make the call.

Can't handle the rejection the call might result in?

Garbage. You've had sex haven't you? You seemed to get over the fear of talking to a girl, and the risk of catching girl germs, without too much trouble.

You can drive can't you? You seemed to be able to come to terms with operating the most dangerous weapon known to man, without too much trouble.

Most people here know that in my younger days I owned a Window Cleaning business - yes I was the guy hanging outside your window in the 40th floor.

When I first picked up the gear I was hopeless. But, I developed a system... a procedure... a set series of moves. Even with that "system" I was slow. BUT, after a while, the system ingrained into my mind and muscles. Speed increased, naturally. That is, I was able to cycle through the system faster. The system/procedure stayed the same... I merely replayed it faster and faster and faster. And it was the fastest system possible... for me.

You've heard tennis commentators talk about anticipation. What is it, really?

It's nothing more than a series of "If this, then this" cycles in your head. All based on experience.

From experience the tennis players know that when the opponent's body is in a certain position and the raquet is in a certain position and the ball is in a certain position, then the hit will most likely send the ball in a certain direction. They then begin to move - before the ball's been hit. (IF body like this and IF ball like this and IF raquet like this, then move there.)

The greater the experience the player has, the greater their anticipation will be. And it all happens naturally. A smooth efficient system for determining where the ball will be without conscious thought.

Experience. Adjust. Experience. Adjust. Until the system is right, for you.

And that's another big part of it... it must match you.

Gordon mentioned this with regards to golf. Only Jack can hit the ball like Jack. Only Tiger can hit the ball like Tiger.

Hit the ball.

Hit the ball again.

Hit it further.

Remember THAT post.

What was the original question again? :o)

You all know I'm big on Checklists. A checklist being a list of MUST DO things and not INTEND TO DO. Whether you go through your checklist in order or out of order doesn't really matter. As long as it is all gone through. Of course, certain things in a checklist must happen first - like creating a file to store your list - and certain things must happen last - like accepting the money. The order the rest gets done in is more flexible, as long as it gets done your project will still work.

But it's an individual thing. My list and yours would look different for the same thing. As would my pictogrigm. But you'll find, that while ours will look different, all of yours will look like yours and my will look like mine. Because that's what we've found will work, for us.

Everybody is wrong. And everybody is right. Sound familiar?

Some could say, writing to discussion boards is inefficient and there are better things to do with your time. And they are right, from their point of view. From my point of view, my brain has prioritised my schedule according to what I TRULY WANT TO DO and made it as efficient as can be.

It doesn't matter what I SHOULD or SHOULDN'T do. It's all about what I TRULY WANT TO DO.

If you find yourself not doing the things you know you should, it's cause you don't truly want to do them. Simple.

Accept it for the fact it is. Don't punish yourself. Know it. Accept it. Move on.

Don't want to make that call? Then don't. Do something else.

Don't want to knock on that door? Then don't. Do something else.

Don't want to buy something at a garage sale and put it in a consignment store? Then don't. Do something else.

We are controlled by our WANTS. If you WANT one thing more than another, then your brain will work out the most efficient way for you.

Remember, you can't fool your brain. It knows. So if you don't make that call, or knock on that door, or whatever, then listen to what your brain is telling you. And even ask WHY.

Why won't you make that call? Why really?

Cause you truly don't want what that call could bring you? Forget fears, rejections, etc. It's all a smoke screen to justify, or in some way condone. Because it's maybe hard to admit that you don't want success as badly as you think you do.

You cannot fool your brain.

It knows. And it creates the most efficient routine for you based on your TRUE WANTS.

Gee this is getting long...

In the RH forum I posted about my Wild Ride. Why did I take that ride? Because I WANTED to do that more than other things I COULD have done.

Whatever. Hope this helps. Somehow. :o)

Michael Ross.