SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 16, 2010, 05:38 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default A really tough problem! Hmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
Hi Guys,

I'm not much of a poster here but I was reading this article about the spill in the Gulf and it got me thinking. I also thought it would be perfect for the sowpub forum to go over.

http://guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/jun/11/bp-oil-spill-shrimp-king

You guys here are a really creative bunch and was curious what you would do if you were in the position of the shrimp king.
Hi Mark,

I read the article - he seems to own and run the shrimp docks, which presumably is where the shrimp boats offload their catch and process them.

It's probably harder for him than for the boat owners, since the boat owners can move to other locations. However, by owning the docks, he's stuck there!

He basically has to find other uses for his docks, while catching shrimp and other seafood is impossible in the area. He's already doing this by selling fuel and water to BP clean-up crews, and renting out dock space to them... Even though it's only a fraction of what he made before.

It's hard as I don't know the industry. Is it possible for him to also use his dock space, for example, for seafood boats who operate from outside the Gulf of Mexico. Or would it be too far for them to process their catches there, since it would be too far to get to? Maybe for a cheap enough price, he can attract extra business from further away, where fishing isn't affected by the oil spill?

That's what comes to my mind (though it might be unrealistic). I'm sure someone who knew more about the industry could come up with better ideas. I'm pretty ignorant regarding shrimp fishing. That's even though I've watched many episodes of reality TV shows like "Deadliest Catch" (crab fishermen), "Lobstermen" (lobster fishermen), and also "Swords" (swordfish fishermen)!

Quote:
P.S - not sure what happened to my older posts. I know I've had a few in my post count but they've seemed to have disappeared...
I checked up on things... You posted last year asking some questions for Gordon to pass on to Harvey Brody - Gordon later deleted that whole thread, and your post got removed with the rest of posts there. (I still have a copy of it though - I'd be happy to pass it on to you if you like!)

Best wishes,

Dien