SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > Original SOWPub Forum Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 3, 2001, 10:06 AM
Michael Ross

Default Re: Which one do you feel is riskier....

The most risk is had by having a single source as in an employee roll.

Which is different to having a single source as in an entrepreneurial roll.

If I work for Walmart and they sack me, I'm finished.

If, on the otherhand, I supply Walmart, they are my single source of income... but I benefit from the fact that each consumer that buys the product I supply is a small source of income which filters down to me.

Personally I'd rather have many sources of income than one.

I forget the guy's name, but he was the CEO of Goodman Fielder. After spending $17 million on developing a new product, and having nothing on the market yet, he was sacked.

I don't imagine there are too many openings for CEOs who are sacked for wasting money.

Being an employee doesn't stop you from having many sources of income though.

If you don't have an entrepreneurial bone in your body you can still have other sources of income. Like getting a part-time/casual job on the side.

One of my teachers at school was also a waiter in a restaurant a few nights a week. And going to that restaurant when he was on sure was an odd thing. I mean, at school, he was the boss, but in the restaurant, I was, in a manner of speaking.

When I was a security guard at Australia's Wonderland I worked on the weekend with a couple of teachers. (teachers during the week, guards on the weekend)

Hmmm.... seems to be a thing about teachers and jobs on the side. :o)

Another guy I knew worked a factory job during the night and was a swim coach during the day (couple hours early-morning and a couple hours late-afternoon).

I think the important thing, if you have two "jobs", is to do so only as a means of funding your other investments which would be more residual-based (stocks for example), or funding a business venture.

That way you're using your "security money" to build your "comfort money".

Michael Ross.