SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 31, 2011, 11:53 PM
Randy

Default Re: $4,000 A WEEK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugs Across America, Inc. View Post
Thanks Steve,
I appreciate all your support. However...I must admit that I would be curious to see the mug that Don Alm had sent to your friend from Georgia back in the late 90's to early 2000's. We had 2 full time reps in GA at that time and I'd be curious to see if it was one of our mugs we produced. I would also be curious to see one of these 3 full color cup jobs that Don has produced in last few weeks that he was talking about in his post. I believe he said he was on his 3rd order. When he called me 2 weeks ago acting like he wanted to be a part of our program, he was acting very naive to the whole concept.
Just tons of questions and eventually told me he was too busy with other things to mess with mugs.
His post on this sight was practically verbatum of what we told him about how set up our contractors with the display boxes and table cards to drum up leads.
I have no problem with competition unless they are about ruin the whole concept and area by using an inferior product that can ultimately seriously burn or scald a restaurant patron when the handle simply falls off one day while they are drinking from the mug, or someone cuts their lips on a sharp edge on the rim because the mugs chip very easily and are not vitrified restaurant quality. I do have some legit competition out there that use a safe, quality product. We don't mind any of them, they don't steal our sales material, or pretend to have come up with the concept, and they don't short the restaurant on the number of mugs they need and the best part is that their ad rates are more than double what we charge, so it's not hard to get customers to advertise with us verses them. The point is that the restaurants don't get a bad taste in their mouth to the whole concept if a quality product is used. Most ASI distributors don't carry any Commercial grade mugs. You have to import them or buy from a restaurant supplier and then find someone with experience and knowledge in high temp ceramic inks.
On another note, I checked out your sight and I like what you are doing.
I wish you the best of luck in your future ventures!

Hi Mark!

You have an excellent program. Steve had posted a link here a few days back and one thing I really like is that you do MORE than just the typical coffee mug.

Years ago back in '92 as I recall when I sold my first mug one of the things I thought would be a great seller but never pursued was the plastic tumbler like the one on your website. I believe that would be even a better seller in some markets than the coffee mug.

I don't want to leave you with the wrong impression because I did not buy my mugs from Don. It was however (IF memory serves correct) about that same time frame that I became aware of Don and some of the creative advertising ideas he would promote.

Like Steve I am not defending any action Don may or may not have taken. I do know that the many ideas Don brings to the table are money making ideas no matter who came up with the idea. Which came first anyway ... the chicken or the egg? And in the end does it really matter?

I got mine from a company that went out of business almost as quickly as I got the biz plan and sample mugs. I ended up ordering through a catalog from Kaeser & Blair on my first mug.

As far as quality of mugs go I guess I never knew there was a restaurant quality mug because the ones I sold were from an ASI supplier and they held up really well. Matter of fact I still drink coffee daily from the first mug I ever had printed. Of course I have seen some thicker mugs at restaurants but since the ones I sold back then held up so well I never looked for a higher quality.

Anyway ... it is great seeing that you have such a successful mug business. Selling coffee mug advertising was always one of the most fun and easiest to sell out of all the various advertising and marketing I have done over the years.

Much continued success to you.

Randy

Last edited by Randy : February 1, 2011 at 12:05 AM.