SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 6, 2011, 01:38 AM
Adman

Default Re: On Going Commission... Forever?

First a question;

1) WHY would an Auto Dealer pay you anything....to list their cars on your site?
2) WHY would an Auto Dealer pay you $10 for each auto listing? Why not $5 per Listing or $1 per Listing?....or $20 per Listing?

Now...here's one of my experiences with Commission Salespeople selling a product realated to Autos;

I was selling a "Gift/Referral" program to Auto Dealers where....the Dealer would have someone at the dealership (one of the secretaries or Sales people) take a photo of their Car Buyers at Time of Delivery.

Every Monday morn the "designated person" would email me the jpegs (along with the Names of the Car Buyers)

I would then enlarge the photos and place them in my MSPub Graphic program (Car Dealer Name & Logo at top...Photo....year at a glance Calendar)and print out a Full Color, 8 1/2 by 11 FRIDGE MAGNET....on my Inkjet and send backto the dealer for him to give to Car Buyer as a Gift.

Car buyer would place Fridge Magnet on their home fridge (because they were PROUD of their purchase and wanted to show EVERYONE who entered their Kitchen)

People entering New Car Buyer's kitchen would see Photo of Car Buyer standing by their new purchase AND....see the Name of the Dealer that sold them the vehicle....thus making this Fridge Magnet a "Referral TOOL" for the car dealer...who GLADLY paid my fee for the fridge magnets.

Now....here's the "Commissioned Salesman" thingee;
After I got a few dealers into this (to use as REFERRALS for ME)....I then went to Auto Dealerships....pulled onto the lots and sat in my car until a salesman came over to me (Car Salespeople take turns going to visit people who drive onto the lot, looking for a vehicle. These prospective car buyers are referred to as "UPS")

When a salesperson (some are female) approached I would hand him/her a few of the Fridge Magnets I had done for other dealers....and ask; "Would you be interested in making some easy, part-time money?"

They'd usually respond with, "Hey! Yeah! Whatcha got?"....or something similar.

I'd tell them I needed someone to SELL the dealership on my "Gift/Referral" program.... using my Fridge Magnets. I'd explain what the Fridge Maget was and how it would benefit the dealership and....if he/she would "SELL THE DEALERSHIP" on my program....I'd give them $3 for EACH and EVERY Fridge Magnet ordered ...for the Next 3 years.....irregardless of whether the salesperson was with the dealership or not.

All I was after was someone to "Sell the Dealership"...and that person would have "Residuals" coming in for the next 36 mos.

At that time...the average car dealers was selling 20 cars a week....80/mo so, this meant the Sales person could be receiving 80 x $3 =$240 a month for the next 36 mos ($240 x 36 = $8,640)

Would it be worth the salespersons TIME....to sell the Owner or GM on using my "Gift/Referral" program....with a potential income of $8,640???

Most said...."You Betcha!" When somone said no....I'd find ONE Salesperson at THAT dealership who DID say "Yes!"

So....I was able to get sales at many dealerships....sending me photos and orders for my Fridge Magnets.

Now....it made no difference to me whether that salesperson stayed with the dealership or not....as long as the dealership KEPT ORDERING....I'd keep paying $3 for each Magnet.

With your program....you could do the same thing. If you feel Dealerships WILL pay $10 per Listing....pay a salesperson 30% ($3ea) up to 25 Listings/mo ($75/mo)....40% of 26 to 49 Listings....and...50% of all Listings 50 and above, per mo.

And....I'd agree to provide this commission rate for 36mos...afterwhich you can re-negotiate. Or....run it for 12 mos....then sit down and take a look.

Don Alm