SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 7, 2011, 12:34 PM
-TW

Default An [make money] aha moment (partly based on Ankesh's parable)...

I think what I'm about to (try to) describe, is one of the biggest (if not THE biggest) thing that BLOCKS people from making $$.

It is this... "I'm going to ***DO*** [whatever], and that's going to make me $$$."

The "DO" above means "accomplish" or "create" or "provide."

Or, the search for this can be worded like this...

"What can I ***DO*** that will bring me an income?"

And (WORSE still): "Does what I find (or settle on) fit into what I would feel PROUD of accomplishing/creating/providing? Does it fit in with my PERSONALITY?"

So, the goal is not really to make money -- the goal is to make money THROUGH a means I like, or can feel proud of.

THIS IS A BLOCK, people!

This whole way of thinking is based upon an ASSUMPTION that may be FALSE!

The assumption is: there needs to be *something* that you must DO/CREATE/PROVIDE/ACCOMPLISH -- and that something is (located) BETWEEN you, and making money.

So, you THINK your search is to find what that in-between thing is.

I think the lesson in Ankesh's parable is...

Maybe the REAL search should be about ways to see that there DOES NOT *HAVE* TO BE something you must DO/CREATE/PROVIDE/ACCOMPLISH located BETWEEN you and making money.

Maybe there are ways to SKIP that in-between step entirely.

The big block then is the *EGO*!!!

The EGO tells one, "Watch ME -- *I'M* going to be REAL CLEVER -- *I'M* going to find a really *GREAT* (read: wholesome, helpful, clever, innovative -- or whatever your EGO + inner value system tells you) method by which to make MY $$$!!!"

Then your ego takes you on a MERRY TRAIL of finding the right/best in-between thing for you, personally (ie: fits in with your *EGO*).

But MAYBE that entire 'happy trail' is nothing more than an EGO-BASED CANARD!!! (wild goose chase)

Maybe the real happy trail to making money is finding paths that *SKIP* that entire in-between, so-called necessity!

Your EGO may be BLOCKING you!

Blocking you from finding simple + easy ways to go directly to the $$$.

Cheers.

-- TW

PS: Here's another way of looking at this overall concept... Your ego rejects ways to make money that are underhanded -- and that's a GOOD thing! But your ego may also be preventing you from seeing overly easy or overly simple money making methods.

Let's say you were able to just snap your fingers + make a million bux. Would you do it? In other words, there was NOTHING to do/provide/accomplish/create BETWEEN you + the $$$. Would you really do it? If you DID do it, wouldn't it be a "affront" to your ego? I mean, when you tell your friends + family about your new riches, the 1st thing they'll ask is, "HOW'D YOU DO IT?" How will they feel? -- how will YOU feel? -- when you tell them, "(sorry) I really didn't *DO* anything." That's not the way you REALLY want to make a million bux, is it -- really? NO! YOU want to make YOUR million via some cool, clever, helpful, innovative, ENTREPRENEURIAL way, right?

SAYS WHO???

Says YOUR EGO, that's who!

Here's an analogy:
Say you test two headlines -- #1 is the "sensible" headline you are now using. #2 is a CHEESY, SCREAMING, ALL-IN-RED, FORMULA headline that you HATE. You find out through REPEATED testing, that #2 ALWAYS gets a 2,000% better response. The question is, would you use #2? Well, let's put it this way -- the only thing PREVENTING you from using headline #2, is... your EGO. In other words, you don't simply want customers -- you want customers via methods YOU approve of -- methods that get through YOUR filters that YOU (your ego) has placed on the process. Filters also known as LIMITS. Artificially (and arbitrarily) induced, ego-driven FILTERS/LIMITS.

Last edited by -TW : March 7, 2011 at 02:00 PM.