SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 3, 2012, 09:01 PM
Bozo

Default Re: Minor Gumption

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalwood View Post
Big B,

Why are you accepting debit (or credit) cards? Or is the merchant at your location accepting them and giving you the proceeds after fees? I'm suspecting you are paying some sort of "rent" to be at a car wash or muffler shop or other retail location. If I am incorrect, oh well, you'll straighten me out.

Tom

I did start out by relying on the merchant to accept credit cards for me, but that meant I had to split my take with the merchant. Then I discovered the wonders of a smart phone, and all that one can do with them, including accepting credit/debit cards.

I am accepting credit/debit cards with Square on my phone. I also have PayAnywhere, but have come to prefer Square. I've never asked anybody if they could pay with PayPal, as most everybody now has at least a debit card.

Since I got the ability to take cards myself, I haven't paid rent to anybody. If a merchant won't let me use his lot for free, I move on and find one that will. All you have to do is ask the right way.

Here's how it worked at Brother Mims's veggie, flower, and houseplant stand. When I got there Brother Mims was in an extended conversation with another man. I hung back outside the door as I didn't want to interrupt them since my business wasn't pressing. Brother Mims noticed me and motioned me inside. I went in and introduced myself to both of them, and joined in their conversation. They were discussing the economy, politics, the wars, and talking about old times. They were a couple of old guys that enjoy chewing the rag and teasing one another. As far as they knew, from my conversation, I was just another guy like them and didn't really want anything. Finally the other guy left and I continued the conversation with Brother Mims. This went on for about 25 minutes total. Finally the conversation turned from Brother Mims over to me. Who am I, what do I do, what can I do for you, and so forth. I told him I'd like to park in his lot for a spell. No problem, he says. How could he say otherwise at that point?

He can't remember my first name, so he calls me Brother Riggs. I call him Brother Mims, to stay even. Alabama is a different kind of place.

At the muffler shop, back here at home, I just asked permission straight out. I took the trouble to find out the owner's name, and found out that everybody thinks the world of him. "Felix is a good guy." they all said. So I just asked him. Introduced myself and asked him what it would take for me to park there. He didn't know, so I said "Well if you don't care, I'll just park on the corner out of the way." Go ahead, he said, I don't care. To this day he doesn't even know my name. He buys me a cold drink from the store across the street sometimes when it's been really hot.

If you offer to pay rent, they will accept. If you ask nicely, you may get it for nothing. If you don't ask, you won't get.