SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 15, 2012, 11:08 PM
RRG

Default Re: Hi all, new here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva View Post
Thank you guys for your responses. As far as gotprint goes, was actually one the phone with them yesterday. Their booklets are way too big and they will only do the listed sizes. Looked at clubcards but they will only print on card stock.

Best for small runs would be to purchase a heavy duty paper trimmer or Staples will make cuts for $2 and cut 250 sheets or if heavier 200 sheets for the same amount per cut, then assemble myself.

Would also need a specialized stapler, no biggie.

Thanks Phil for all the links, really am not into bartering, like to keep it simple. Will read through all of Paulette's, surely will find some gems hidden in there that will work for me.

I'd like to make my booklets stand out. I will put in the extra effort to include a coverstock for each booklet. I just recently purchased the whole Master Collection from Adobe and I am in the process of learning InDesign and Illustrator.

There's a new wso coming out on 3/21 from bob ross in the WF in regards how to make money with direct mail and other printed pieces. I am bringing this up, not because I am getting any financial benefit from it but simply because I belive it is going to be worth the $9.71 the wso is priced at initially and if you buy it within the first 24 hours, you will get the OTO for free. That is the one that is a tutorial on how to use Illustrator to design your own stuff.

The whole purpose of the booklet to me is two-fold, a foot in the door while making some money and then take it from there to sell them other stuff.

Thanks again, Eva

Obviously, I'm late to this party.

Anyway, I decided I liked this idea so much I created one of these 16-page booklets as my business card. I have a cover with a title and subhead and a simple graphic. I have as the back cover the basic "business card" info. Inside pages include:

~~What's Inside (TOC)

~~A Note From Me To My Reader (introduction)

~~Several pages that introduce and briefly describe services I offer

~~What Clients Are Saying (2 pages of testimonials on the page 8-9 "center spread")

~~Profitable Resources (links to my FREE Report squeeze pages)

~~And finally, a call-to-action for anyone who wants me to create, print and assemble a similar booklet for them!

I started cutting these myself on my $20 paper trimmer. Worked OK, but not precise enough. Went to Staples and, yes, $4 to cut 250 pieces. But they wanted $.29 each to assemble (not including paper/printing; I print my own).

So, bought a $15 Staples One Touch stapler. Turns out it is the EXACT size for saddle stitching these booklets!

I've passed a few of these around and the response has been pretty enthusiastic. At the very least, they're struck by its uniqueness as a business card. One guy expressed interest in my designing one for his business (magician and children's entertainer). And I just started handing these out 4 days ago.

I have a pretty slick and efficient color laser printer. Using Staples 32 lb. laser gloss paper, I can make these for a hard cost of about ten cents each or less.

Also planning to head out next week and make a few calls to see if I can drum up some interest in these.

One print broker I spoke to said he can't get any of his printers to do a booklet smaller than 4x6. Another thinks she can find someone. I'll be interested to find out if she can find a source and what the charge will be. I don't mind making these myself on a small scale, but I'd rather do big numbers and outsource that part of it.

Just curious, Eva, have you been able to find any clients to do these for?