SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > Original SOWPub Forum Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 13, 2000, 07:58 AM
Gordon Alexander

Default Special Report, a TRICK of the Masters...INVOLVEMENT...

Special thanks to Wanda Loskot www.loska.com for reminding me that Drew Kaplan is back, and with a vengenance.

DAK, if you like high tech gizmos and gadgets, you don't need to ask...

But if you don't know who Drew Kaplan is, suffice for today's lesson, trust me, he's a MASTER.

Of course I'm not a teacher, but I play one on the Internet. So class, how about a field trip?

Today's lesson is on INVOLVEMENT. In Remote Direct Marketing (RDM) such as mailorder, involvement is a proven sales booster.

Have you ever received the Publsher's Clearing House offer? If not, where have you been hiding?

After you figure out you really haven't won the 10 million bucks, you see all kinds of little stickers to choose from. But you can ONLY pick four, so you must choose carefully.

This is called an INVOLVEMENT device, it gets you involved in the promotion. I always loved trying to come up with new devices, but my bosses seldom liked my ideas, but I kept trying.

See, savvy marketers know that if you involve people in the promotion, it increases the chances of a positive response.

I like to use Involvement in my promotions and within my products. One such device is the QUIZ.

Another is the PictoGrigm, which involves you, and when you are able to get your reader involved, the greater your chances of exercising some influence on this person.

Other Involvement Devices (ID) are Surveys, and FREE goodies, like a zine, newsletter, or other things.

OK, you know what ID is? Involvement Devices?

Then let's go look at a MASTER at work, shall we.

Follow me to...www.dak2000.com Home of Drew Kaplan.

You can minimize this window and bounce back and forth. Or, you can print this out and just stay at dak2000, or whatever...

a word about Drew Kaplan. He is one of my favorite copywriters. He and Joe Sugarman. I aspire to their mastery.

What do they have in common? White Bread!

Did you read that story? It's on the sidebar here. It is about enthusiasm.

Drew and Joe write with the enthusiasm of a kid on Christmas morning. Full of marvel and wonderment.

Even though their promotions are extremely well crafted, and each and every word weighed, it is my opinion that their promotions worked mainly because they were able to TRANSFER their enthusiasm about a product to the prospect.

But, we'll save that for another class.

Have you gone to www.dak2000.com yet?

Let's take a peek at the Master and see what he's up to on the Net, OK?

First thing...

You tell me...what do you do? I'll offer an educated guess...

You read the headline.

TECHNOLOGY UNLEASHED FOR YOU

Now your eyes have scanned the page, looking for something familar, and as stated, if you know who Drew is and what he does, you see he is BACK.

If you don't know Drew, then you begin a visual search. Your eyes see two things, THE HEADLINE, and the blue box about the SECRET DECODER RING.

He's got you...

After the headline comes the lead paragraph...along with my comments...

Today's technology has given us (NOTE US, WHICH MEANS YOU) an unprecedented ability to create wealth (YOU CAN CREATE WEALTH)and an equally unprecedented ability to enjoy the fruits of our labor. The DAK 2000 mission is to help us (HELP US) understand and leverage these new tools. Isn't this a great time to be alive? (IF YOU DON'T ANSWER YES, HE DOESN'T WANT YOU HERE ANYHOW)Wow!

Class, this is a brillant piece of copy, do not for one instant think it just rolled off of Drew's mouth without careful inspection.

It is meaningful, it is subliminal, you INFER a lot from this little paragraph...the seed Drew has planted in your mind is one of ....

HOPE...

that technology INDEED can be mastered and in so doing create abundant wealth.

Then you just have to know about the DECODER RING, and here is where the INVOLVEMENT STARTS.

Drew is educating and training you how to use his site. He has carefully and brillantly gotten you to DO SOMETHING.

Are you aware of the 3-click rule of on-line marketing? The PROS are.

Get a person to click three times and get deeper into your site, you have a good chance of that person becoming a customer...

and I said there aren't any secrets left...HA!

Pay attention to what the MASTERS DO, not what they say...although pay attention to that also.

Did you click the PIC? Hard not to isn't it? What happens? Drew's way of telling you, COME BACK for this...but in the meantime...

What is the next most likely progression...and sometimes the very first click...

the QUICK PEEK CAN'T WAIT...and here is where the genius shows through...

On the next page you discover the EASTER EGG...

AND HERE IS THE BEST INVOLVEMENT DEVICE I'VE SEEN USED BY A MARKETER...

I needed to qualify that. Other devices, like hit the hampster, or pick off the monkey, or choose a leaf, or games...all these have been around since day one, and they work to an extent.

I'm talking about a person that had HUGE success in Remote Direct Marketing and is now coming on line and trying to recapture his old magic...

and Drew Kaplan has a good chance of doing this, and one reason is that he GETS YOU INVOLVED in the site.

Now, I don't have time to go over dak2000 with a fine tooth comb, but let me say, I HAVE...and I will continue to visit and learn from Drew Kaplan.

How can you get your visitors INVOLVED? Well, Dien has selected the forum as an involvement device. Here's a secret for you about forums.

Do you know the most read posts on a forum (other than mine of course...HA!) are posts that are

DRAMATIC...controversial...and the hand's down winner...

A GOOD OLD FASHIONED FIGHT...in a manner of speaking. Visit the forums where they show the number of reads, and you will almost always see that the ones where there is an argument, or a drama or a good cat/dog fight...

those are the ones that get read.

Guess what? Savvy marketers know this, and use these to his/her benefit. Some have even been known to create a drama...by being two different people.

One well known guru has confessed to using different handles in a forum to tout his product.

It works. Why? Because controversy is a subtle form of INVOLVEMENT.

Want to see people quit lurking? Say something negative about their guru, and you get to see a lesson in Committment and Consistency, one of the Points of Influence as outlined by Robert Cialdani.

But the point for you is this...

Find a way to involve your vistors. Get them to make at least 3 clicks. Give them a reason to come back (DAK uses an implied future promise, the catalog, and daily discovery of a new TECHNOLOGICAL gizmo that fulfills the promise in the lead paragraph).

Now, I've received an e-mail in the past asking me if these promotions/web sites were really that carefully constructed.

Friend, if you haven't been in the business of Remote Persuasion, you can't BELIEVE how much effort is made over every single word.

On the net, every single graphic, every single page and link...

gets scruntinized to the nth degree...

and they have ONE major purpose, to get you to part with your money...

If you have the desire to have people part with their money and send some of it to YOU...you would be a wise little grasshopper to study the techniques and adjust and apply them to your own needs.

Hope you learned something today...as for me...I feel like the Joker in the Batman movie as Jack Nicholson utters his line when Batman uses a high tech gadget...

"Where does he get those marvelous toys?"

I think I know Joker...

from Drew Kaplan.

Class dismissed.

Gordon (I don't understand it, but I love hi-tech gizmos anyhow) Alexander