SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 13, 2012, 02:07 PM
shelbyc

Default 9/10/12 - 9/13/12 - Update

Here's an update for those who are interested.

I listed the Grand Hall BBQ on Monday with Craigslist. On Tuesday I discovered that my ad was not even in the search results.

This phenomenon is called "Ghosting". Ghosting is when Craigslist tells you that everything is fine with your ad, but it doesn't appear in the search results so effectively your ad is there but not. No one will see the ad if it gets ghosted.

Apparently Craigslist will ghost your ad for a number of reasons including:
-Editing it too much
-Not having a verified account
-Listing it in the "wrong" category
-Using HTML
-Hosting pictures on sites they don't like
-and more…

I believe my ad was ghosted because I edited it a thousand times to figure out how to add the video I made and get the pictures up right. I'm a bit of a tweak and like to use the hosting I already have for things, not a good idea with Craigslist.

So I'm out the $70 for the grill and $50 for the weight set so far, but should eventually get the money back. I think the grill will take a while to sell at the price I listed it at.

Here's the ad:

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/app/3264998782.html

On the plus side I've sold the XBOX Kinect and put $65.00 in my pocket to play with. The Logitech Revue was sold but the buyer backed out, I will have it sold shortly as well.

I've also started compiling a list of things to look for on Craigslist in addition to Skip's report that I can quickly flip. If you want to get started doing this as well and are having a hard time PM me and I'll share the list with you.

Michael Senhof emailed me with some Craigslist interviews he did and I think they are very helpful, especially if you're just getting started. Here's the link:

http://www.hardtofindseminars.com/Craigs_List.htm

Here's some things I picked up:

When meeting people be very specific on what time they will come, don't waste your whole day waiting for Craigslist flakes. Have them call you when they are on the road.

Print out the ad and use it as a receipt, if you are scared to ask for their money say, "Shall we finish the paperwork." Don't help them load until you have the money.

Everything has some value, even old carpet, one man's trash is another's treasure.

Screen people over the phone, if you are uncomfortable meet them in a public place before giving them your address, also be wary of people and use common sense. I read a story on Craigslist about a guy who was selling a laptop, he arranged to meet at a McDonalds, the buyer showed up looked it over and ran with it, his buddy was waiting in a car. The seller ran after them and punched the guy who dropped his laptop and broke it. The two guys got away, the seller is stuck with a broken laptop.

Everyone has different tactics, you can either buy and sell chattel quickly for low margins, or stick to your guns and bring in the higher margins.

On listing: Take good pictures, host them through something like Flickr, be detailed and point out benefits, if your item has a warranty add that in.

Other things I've personally learned:

Write your number out like five-five-five-etc-5-etc-5 or make it into an image, so the scrappers won't pull it and file it away on a scammers database.

Use a junkier email address, scammers abound on Craigslist and the people who are really interested will call or text.

Add a way to identify scammers in your emails, here's something I'll probably add in to my future ads:

"If you are not a scammer please type the word bear in your response"
"If this ad is up the item is still available"

You can use filters in your email to sort these.

Hope that helps some people make some money, I'll report in when I have more to share, unless this thread is a bore to people.