SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 1, 2012, 09:30 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Sound Pilot... notebooks... backups... great stuff! :)

Hi Cornell,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornell View Post
Yes this works for me.

I keep all the notebooks...actually have two fire resistant 4 drawer filing cabinets full of them.

I have been doing web sites for 14 years now...and I still get a few clients from those early years coming back to do changes or additions, or needing troubleshooting. By having these notebooks and portfolios I can simply pull them and know exactly what had been done previously....and trust me... the memory ain't what it used to be so these are definitely a help.

Also if there is a dispute about a time frame I can pull the dates in question and verify my notations to make sure I am correct and not mistaken.
Apparently Richard Branson does something similar!

In his book, he says...
"As anyone in my office knows when I’ve lost it, my most essential possession is a standard-sized school notebook, which can be bought at any stationery shop on any high street across the country. I carry this everywhere and write down comments made to me by Virgin staff and anyone else I meet. I make notes of all telephone conversations and all meetings, and I draft out letters to send and lists of telephone calls to make. Over the years I have worked my way through a bookcase of them, and the discipline of writing everything down ensures that I have to listen to people carefully."
From an old post, here - http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?p=12318

(Also a little more here - http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?p=9757 )

Quote:
I also have used the post-its (sticky notes)...they actually work pretty well...after a couple of pulls and placements they seem to fall off easily but I find a paper clip secures them after that....and if they need to become a permanent part of records - a staple takes care of that.

Actually the frame of my monitor could be an advertisement for post-its....it is adorned with them to remind me about critical time and date sensitive happenings.

Have endured numerous hard drive crashes...and way back when backups were done on tape had the tapes de-spool and the backup be garbage.

Just recently I went through a complete loss by a huge power spike. At the time it hit I had my second computer doing a backup and also my external backup drives running their backup. Surge supressor apparently failed to stop it. As a result both computers fried (including hard drives) as well as my external drives. Spent 4 weeks recovering data from damaged drives with 60% of it unusable....tremendous loss...but...all my pen and paper records were intact.
Yes - digital info seems to be fragile!

Backups are essential! A few years ago, my hard drive on my laptop went dead. Fortunately, I had just backed up a couple days before it happened, so I only lost a couple days of data. (Including an article I had been writing - which was annoying - but it could have been much worse!)

Nowadays, I'm also using "Carbonite" - http://www.carbonite.com . This is a paid solution ($59/year). It's a web-based automated backup service. I use it to keep my key files backed up as well. The nice thing about it is you don't have to think about it - it works automatically in the background. (I still do full backups too - though perhaps less often.)

Another good thing about Carbonite is that if a file is accidentally erased or overwritten (so you can't get it back) - you can often retrieve it from your Carbonite backup.

Quote:
I like Duane's egg timer idea...will have to give that a try.

I have another little item I use...it drives my kids nuts....it is called Sound Pilot (http://www.colorpilot.com/soundpilot.html).

When I was in high school one of the language classes I wanted was full and needed another class to fill my schedule...so looked for a 'bird class' (no brainer, easy, and no homework)...took a commercial stream course - beginner's typing. The instructor used a device similar to a metronome (piano teaching accessory) to give us a pace to type to and as it sped up so did we....with goal of 50 words per minute....I never quite made it...best was only 42. That device emitted the same sound as the Sound Pilot does when a key is hit.....so now I just turn it on and as it emits the sound of a typewriter key I use it to get myself in a quick easy pace for keying in on the computer.

I have tried Dragon Naturally Speaking but with dismal success. My workspace has too many varying background noises to use it successfully and have it come out relatively correct...found it took longer to edit than to just key it in.
Regarding Dragon Naturally Speaking - I'm with you. I find it takes more time fixing up the errors to not make it worth it. However, other people swear by it.

I've used a transcription service in the past, though haven't used one for a while. I found that worked well. (For example, I've written articles that way.)

I did use Sound Pilot too, it was cool! I don't have it now - I think it disappeared with that hard drive crash I mentioned earlier. However, it was nice. I think I'll re-install it!

I'm a "sucker" for re-creating the "typewriting" experience. I remember enjoying writing by typing on a typewriter...

Actually, I got out an old typewriter recently (my late father's old Hermes 3000 - he loved that model of typewriter; at one stage he had several of them). I used it to address an envelope, which is one of the things a typewriter is better at than a computer or printer - because you can position it accurately on the envelope!

I found that my finger muscles aren't strong enough to touch type at a fast pace on a manual typewriter any more. I used to be able to do it! But all these years of using "soft" computer keyboards has meant my typing finger muscles have withered away!

Thanks Cornell... Great stuff in your post. And I think I'll get Sound Pilot again!

(I'm sure many "younger folks" will all think adding typewriter sounds to a computer is "crazy"...! )

Best wishes,

Dien