SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > Original SOWPub Forum Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 13, 2000, 10:32 PM
Mike Van Norden

Default Copywriting Tip...Sometimes It's the "Simple" things!

Howdy Ya'll...(That's Texan for Hello) ;-)

Anyway, I'm constantly amazed at how many times I forget about the "Basics" of creating a great sales letter. Instaed of doing some simple "flipping" techniques to increase the response, I seek other sources like, swipe files, new testimonials, premiums, bonuses etc. from OTHER pieces.

But here's the reality. many times all you need is variation of what's in your CURRENT control to increase sales. Let me explain what I mean. Recently I was trying to boost response to a sales letter for a particular client, and NOTHING was working. I was going through my plethora of past sales letters, bonuses, premiums, testimonials, EVERYTHING was dumped out the floor of my office. It truly looked like a scene from the movie TWISTER. Then it hit me...

Why not LEAD OFF with all the BONUSES! Basically, flip the letter, and make it a BONUS driven sales letter. I knew I had done this type of "flip" with several letters, but like many of us, I got so caught up in the CREATIVE process, I forgot about simplicity!

Results: Just by flipping this control to a "Bonus" driven piece, I got 40% increase in response. It took me MAYBE an hour to make this change in the control. So, once again, I had to teach myself a valuable lesson. I had to remind myself NOT to over complicate the creative. From now on, my first attempt to beat my control, will be re-arranging content, NOT re-inventing the creative.

I know this won't work in every case, and you can only "flip" copy so many ways in the same control. But hey, when you've got several pieces you're trying to bump the response rate on, why not give it try first. It could save you weeks of arduous, mind-numbing creative on the same piece.

Hope this saves some of you from pulling your hair out, and having past sales letter controls stacked to the ceiling.

Sometimes, it the simple things,

Mike Van Norden

Click Here for FREE Publicity/Marketing Tips!