Originally Posted by Mystery
I live in Bhaktapur,Nepal and it is a developing city. I am a business student and I have recently started a small scale business of making pickles out of different things such as mango, carrot, cucumber, tomato and so on. But I am not being able to think how can I promote my business.I have sold some in my neighbor, but I want bigger market segmentation. I would be grateful of anyone would suggest some strategies to promote my business. I cannot spend much money in promotion due to lack of capital.
Great question! And congratulations on starting your pickling business!
Some ideas for you come to mind...
The first thing I would say is to think about differentiation.
- How are your pickled products different from what is already out there?
- Is there an angle which you can use to distinguish your pickled products from the others, in a positive way?
- If so, then promote how your product is different and unique!
You could also think about a niche market...
- Is there a niche market to which you could promote your products? If so, this is another way to differentiate your business from the competition.
that you give your pickles could also be significant!
- A fun name for your pickles will also help to distinguish your pickles from the competition, and help people to remember your product.
Perhaps you can make specialized pickles...
As for selling, of course, one option is to sell at markets. If you do this...
- Get attention to your stall.
- Use balloons, lots of color, and anything else, in order to get attention!
- Use big signs promoting your product, which explain why your product is better than what else is out there. Even if people don't talk to you, they can read your sign as they walk by and may buy from that, or at least get interested.
You could also sell via stores...
- You might be able to get stores to stock your product.
You could possibly sell via the internet.
- Many people sell pickled products via the internet...
- I'm not sure, possibly in Nepal, this might be more viable for a more "upmarket" product, if only richer people have access to the internet.
I hope that helps to give you some ideas! Please let us know how things progress... And especially if you come up with any unusual pickles and marketing ideas!