SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 23, 2014, 10:43 AM
SendCards

Default Takeout Menu Binders [Reposted from archive]

Hello all,

New to the forum. Reading as much as I can. I already run my own business but I have the bug and am always looking at new money makers.

I usually like opportunities that piggyback on the services I already perform and offer new ideas to my clients that are not that far off of our current business relationship.

So this morning I am thinking about some of the takeout menu and place mat ideas (Don Alm et al) that have been knocked around and been successful for folks. It felt like I could dovetail something like that into what I am doing. I had my smartphone out and fiddled a little with a food delivery app I had loaded. I was thinking of a way to enhance a restaurant's delivery revenues. Maybe create a delivery brand to promote an app for them or??? But with the app I was looking at, everything is so small to view but I know delivery is a huge trend. Can we capture some of those food delivery dollars?

I thought about who is probably the most profitable deliveries a restaurant needs to pay a driver and still make a few bucks on each delivery. When I worked in cube world our offices ordered in a lot for lunch and had dozens of our favorite restaurant delivery menus laying around.

It kinda hit me then and this probably isn't a new idea, a Restaurant Takeout Delivery Menu Binder. Something big enough so you don't have to squint at a menu on your phone. There is no way a receptionist or intern is enjoying ordering food for a dozen people on a phone's tiny keyboard and screen.

Would a couple dozen local restaurants with delivery, pay to have their 8x12 heavy card stock menu placed into a heavy duty three ring office binder and designed and titled "Restaurant Delivery Menus"? Would they pay to have it hand delivered with a pitch to a couple hundred local businesses that are currently ordering food in on a regular basis? Would they pay extra for exclusivity, for instance only one pizza shop is allowed in the binder?

Would businesses pay for the binder (say $19.95) if you added some coupons, discounts and maybe some order pads to make putting together the daily lunch order easier? Could you make this an ongoing promotion by delivering more coupons and food order pads periodically to each of those businesses.

How might you renew a restaurant, annually, quarterly to keep their menus up? New updated menu? Discount coupon packs? How much to charge a restaurant per year, per quarter? Can I charge them extra for prime placement in the binder (front page)?

This is making my head swim. I can imagine the front desk person or receptionist always having this binder at the ready for lunch orders. She or he just have to see what everyone is hungry for, go to the appropriate tab, sub sandwiches for instance, and everyone can look at a full sized menu while the intern jots down their orders.

I can also imagine other extensions/sections of this binder with an emergency services section for maybe emergency plumbing and electrical advertisers. You could also distribute other inserts and discounts later on because now you are known as the Menu Guy.

Apps and yellow pages have their place but this seems like a win win win for my advertisers, local businesses and my pocketbook. Am I missing something?

Cheers!

Chris