SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 2, 2014, 05:45 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Will you be okay when it's time to retire? Here's what to do

If you line up all Americans, from richest to poorest, how much in assets does the person right in the middle have?

The answer is $44,900 (link).

Half of Americans have more, and half have less.

Is that enough to retire on?

Probably not...

This is (or should be) a worry to many people!

That's why you HAVE to learn money-making skills!

Many people on this forum have learned these skills... But I know that many, including those who may be reading but not posting much, haven't yet learned this skills...

But - learning these skills NOW is what will "save" you when it comes to your "golden years"...

The last thing you want is to have to struggle in those times. It's a scary thought...

Thank God, I co-founded this forum around 14 years ago now. Why do I say that? Because I've learned a LOT over the years - and quite a lot of it from this forum itself!

If you haven't learned these skills - there's no time to waste!

There are a TON of posts here to learn them from... And a lot of savvy people to ask your questions to...

I would start by learning sales and marketing skills, if you don't have them. Learn by doing.

I once asked Gordon Alexander (co-founder of this forum, and who has really been one of my mentors), what I could do to improve my entrepreneurial skills.

He said - get a sales job.

Now, I happen to have a Ph.D. in physics (or, "Piled Higher and Deeper" as Gary Halbert used to say!).

How many such people learn sales skills? Very, very few.

But - I did it. I took Gordon's advice, and got a real job selling comedy club tickets. And I learned a lot of sales skills by doing it!

You know what? Now, if I need to compete against other "academic" types - I have a HUGE edge. The reason why is because most academic types have zero sales skills, and zero marketing skills... Competing in that kind of environment, when you have these skills... is a bit like taking candy from a baby.

Anyway, this is just a "cold, harsh reality" post. Don't let your future self down. Learn what you need to learn to survive, and thrive!

I think there are so many clever ideas on this forum... The mind boggles...

Then, when your "golden years" come around... you'll be golden!

Best wishes,

Dien

Last edited by Dien Rice : December 2, 2014 at 06:00 AM.