SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 17, 2014, 12:14 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Re: Weird $100,000 Client --Aura Handshake--Referral System [Reposted from archive]

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalwood View Post
I must have missed the NLP in this last post. 2 people open a restaurant. One is a consultant while the other is a YOGA instructor. Each has a built in audience so this audience patronizes the restaurant. I don't see anything spectacularly distinguishing about the setup.
Hi Tom,

I don't think everything Glenn writes about is about NLP. These are case studies on referral systems.

I've had the pleasure of talking with Glenn - and I know that what Glenn both applies and teaches is well beyond NLP (though in some cases it may incorporate it). Let's say Glenn has a very powerful set of "tools" in his business "toolbox" - and NLP is only one of the tools...

Quote:
Unless, these 2 are not involved in the daily routine of the restaurant and all they do is bring in diners then I can see how their subliminal referrals work. But, and this is a big but, if one or both of these people are actively involved in the restaurant's daily routine, I don't see them bringing a significant amount of referrals to the table so to speak.

I understand how this system has the potential to increase business but I don't have enough info on each one's involvement in the restaurant. Like I said, I missed it.
I could be wrong, but I see it like this...

I have a friend who used to screen (older) films on some Monday nights in a local bar (or a pub, as they call them here).

It was a win/win referral system...

- My friend advertised his film nights to his email list. People came to the bar to watch the films. They ordered drinks and also meals (since the bar sold meals too), so the bar made money. Monday was usually a slow night, so they made more money that night than would have otherwise.

- My friend also got occasional free publicity for his film nights (e.g. he'd get interviewed on public radio, the occasional article about him in the newspaper, sometimes the movie would get listed in the newspaper movie listings regarding "what's on," etc.), which also brought more people to the bar to see the movies.

- The bar paid my friend for screening the films, so my friend made money too, plus they gave him a free meal. The bar also advertised the film night to its customers (via posters around the bar, mainly), so my friend would get more people coming to see his films.

- People who watched the films would also pay a nominal "membership fee" to see the films (these fees basically covered the costs of hiring the films). All new members were also added to the email list.

(By the way, screening movies for the public is a tricky business regarding rights, so you have to check that out - and find legal ways to cope with it - if you want to do something like this. In this case, in Australia, it is legal to screen films to members if you are a film society - so this was set up as a film society, and people were charged a fee for membership. That membership fee got you a pass to see 3 months of film nights. He would generally show older "cult" movies - like "The Day the Earth Stood Still" (1951), "Devil Girl from Mars" (1954), "Rio Rita" (1942), "Casablanca" (1942), "Planet of the Vampires" (1965), and so on.)

It was win/win for all! And increased the profits for both the bar and for my friend.

He also got paid to do what he loved, which was screening movies for the public.

Best wishes,

Dien

P.S. Here's one of the articles (i.e. free publicity) which was written about him in a major newspaper. (In Australia, many "bars" are called "hotels" for historical reasons.)

Last edited by Dien Rice : December 17, 2014 at 04:30 PM.