SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 30, 2015, 10:14 PM
Robert J.

Default Re: Is there a business idea here?

Interesting question, WW.

I know, from being in newspapers for most of my career (not in sales), we were constantly hearing complaints from the sales staff about business owners who pretty much had this idea: "I have all the business I need. I just cherry pick the jobs I want."

Now, I think for some of them, that really was the case. They did good work, served their customers well, and made a good living "doing it my way." And for the other half, it seemed they would be out of business within two years.

I remember one particular guy ... he was quite the confident biz owner, and one day he brought in a complementary tray of hoagies (that's what we call subs around here) for the staff to enjoy. The idea was we would come to his little shop nearby and buy lunch there.

Our sales ladies, never ones to miss an opportunity, began pestering him to buy an ad, but he stood his ground. I don't need to pay for customers. I get all the customers I can handle by word of mouth.

The business went under. Belly up. But I am willing to bet that he never, ever invested in marketing, foolishly relying on the quality of his rolls, instead.

Now, back to your question ...

YES! I think there is a business opportunity there. No, I don't think it will be easy to convince SOME of these guys that they even need to change the way they are doing things.

So when you get one you can't sell/help ... just dust yourself off and move on to the next one. And once you start helping a couple, the word will get out ...